indian artifact or fossilized tooth? (try this again)

burglarifyoulike

Aug 24, 2008
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
had two hours this morning to hunt. went to a friend's house where there was an old grist mill- the soil has been levelled, etc. over the years. no metal found expect for canning jar lid (what a surprise- those things are everywhere...), but i did find this right on top of the ground in the field, which also has much native american history. unsure as to wether it is an artifact or not, it doesn't look worked, but i can't imagine a stone in this shape naturally. thanks for looking and happy hunting to all!

Attachments

• indian artifact 001.jpg
    indian artifact 001.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 554
  • indian artifact 002.jpg
    indian artifact 002.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 461
  • indian artifact 001.jpg
    indian artifact 001.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 425
  • indian artifact 002.jpg
    indian artifact 002.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 417
Upvote 0
OP
OP
B

burglarifyoulike

Aug 24, 2008
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
FutureProspect784 said:
I think that what you have there is indeed an artifact of some sort, however exactly what it is is beyond me.
thanks for the reply; it's beyond me, too, hopefully i'll get an ID on it sometime in the near future. Beuatiful place where you live; my husband and i were there for our honeymoon some years back- :)- we loved it there and hope to return someday!

OP
OP
B

burglarifyoulike

Aug 24, 2008
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
vibes said:
I think what you have is a knife sharpener. Fur traders used them..I found one similiar to yours and posted it in the "what is it" forum, and that was the consensus...a knife sharpener.

When I have a chance I'll pull up my thread on it:)

here it is:

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,172150.0.html
thanks so much! from what i can see, they look almost identical in size and shape. i really appreciate the info!

A

archaeon

interesting...we need more pics of this thing, from all angles..also pics of the hole in one end...at least it looks like a hole...

from the pics of the belemites, they seems to be about 3 inches to 4 inches...this thing is waaaay bigger...and it doesnt appear to have a flat surface that a sharpening stone has....
it looks like a tooth, or fossil bone, rib? tusk?

Alnitak

Nov 20, 2008
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
archaeon said:
interesting...we need more pics of this thing, from all angles..also pics of the hole in one end...at least it looks like a hole...

from the pics of the belemites, they seems to be about 3 inches to 4 inches...this thing is waaaay bigger...and it doesnt appear to have a flat surface that a sharpening stone has....
it looks like a tooth, or fossil bone, rib? tusk?

This is definitely a big one, but these fossils can range up to a foot or more in length; it's just that the smaller sizes are more commonly found complete.

Jeff

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread