Indian artifact or reaching?

gary s fl

Mar 21, 2005
Birmingham Alabama
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, CTX 3030, Explorer II, Excalibur, Aquasound, TDI, GB 2, Quick-triggered CZ-21, AU-21, G2, Comprade 7" & 5.5"
Primary Interest:
Other
I've always wanted to find an arrow head or spear point but living in south florida for 50+ years didn't make for an ideal area to find one. Since moving to B'ham I've been hoping for an arrow head find while detecting. Yesterday I found this arrow head shaped piece of rock in an old park circa 1900. It was 6" deep. Found the 'V' nickel about 20' away from it. Weighs 11.2 grams. Did I find something man made or am I wishing too much? Gary

Attachments

• DSCN4035.JPG
    DSCN4035.JPG
    102.7 KB · Views: 341
  • DSCN4027.JPG
    DSCN4027.JPG
    94.5 KB · Views: 345
  • DSCN4028.JPG
    DSCN4028.JPG
    96.7 KB · Views: 335
Upvote 0

Tricia

Mar 5, 2007
I'm new here but have seen my fair share of projectile points. Sorry. But keep looking, ya never know what's around under the next bend. ;D

jbl04410

Feb 11, 2007
Hermon,Maine
Detector(s) used
My eagle eyes
Not this time Gary,my suggestion to you is do a little research figure out where they were.Maybe find out what they used for materials.Also an atlas is invaluable for finding river and stream connections Internet,library and museums.Once you get in the right area it will all come together.If not come on up to Maine and Ill hook ya right up.Just dont come for awhile unless you bring your snow shovel.....Good luck

jay

K

kindgrind

Maybe Gary lets see the width and where did u find it that really matters!

texasriverdigger

Mar 10, 2007
Freeport Texas
alot of what makes the difference beetween a artifact and Geo-fact is the context in where it was found, and how it was found? you would have to give better details.. but I would hang on to it, you might find something to put it into context in your next adventure...

Neanderthal

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2006
oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
No, what makes the difference between Geofact and artifact is that one is formed by nature, and the other is modified by human hands into a useful device. Projectile points (or most tools) are made either by fracturing conchoidal flakes, or by pecking/grinding to a desired form. The rock shown displays no signs of human modification that I can see from the photograph. It appears to be a natural geofact.

However, (as someone else pointed out), don't let this discourage you! Try to gain information from collectors in your area where likely spots would be to find artifacts. I'm sure they won't turn you on to any of their best "honey holes", but they should be able to point you in the right direction. Good luck!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread