All Treasure Hunting

Attachments

• IMG_3008.JPG
    IMG_3008.JPG
    30.3 KB · Views: 906
Upvote 0

dlos

Jul 12, 2011
While I tend to agree with Gator on those pieces not originating from SC, I can also say that I've been witness to points types and material types being pulled from the ground here in NC that do not fit the classic range of materials and forms that represent NC. I've always chalked these anomalies up to trade and bartering between tribes as they all seemed to move around far more than we think possible today. Scouting parties, tribes joining forces, making deals and who knows what else could have led to materials and technology ending up in foreign places from time to time.

They are interesting pieces thanks for posting.

pickaway

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
Detector(s) used
ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found a fling ridge, Ohio Adena blade in Maryland once upon a time ago, plus someone I know pulled a small obsidian point out of the same place. Obsidian? How far was that carried in from?
Its well known the Adena moved east and alot of Ohio material has been found in Maryland from the Adena culture, however I think heybubbajay has you beat on distance as his are from India.
Arrowheads India, Arrowheads India Products, Arrowheads India Suppliers and Manufacturers at Alibaba.com

Last edited:

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just heard two things....
#1 these two pieces are the only things you have from a dig.

#2 you were with someone else.

My conclusion .... SALT
I guarantee he planted them for you to find and is probably laughing uncontrollably at all of this.

OP
OP
heybubbajay

heybubbajay

Feb 28, 2012
SC
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Gatorboy, the reason I started this thread is to learn more about Indian artifacts...any suggestions would be appreciated...

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Believe it or not.. even with all the characters and antics ..right here is a great place.
The search option can find info that has been posted in the past about just about every area and topic.
For a real in depth and specific study of your state in my opinion .... books and reports written by seasoned archaeologists and local historians can't be beat.
Also.. JSTOR and many P.D.F. files on the internet.
Google scholar is another good place.
Then of course hands on field experience ... if you can participate in the study of a village site you get a real good picture of what actual daily life was about.

Last edited:

SCrocks

May 11, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is a arrowhead show Nov 16 in Abbeville S.C. and you'll see a lot of local artifacts and can talk with some experts. The two you have look to be only reproductions and a few years old at best. Like Gator said if you found them someone salted the area with them.

JohnReid

Oct 31, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here are another few pics I took myself that might help.

011.jpg 012.jpg

I'll let them speak for themselves. You can kind of see how it does resemble some type of quartz though.

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cryptocrystaline quartzite describes all flint.
Those look like agate.

Last edited:

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
While your here why don't you post other finds from the site.

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I heard this guy throws a bunch out in fields on Christmas eve.
Not really

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I didn't think you were allowed to call some ones post a fake unless you have proof. Do any of you know where these points came from? If you don't you are breaking T-Net rules.

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If someone asks for opinions ..that's what they get
There is no rule against anything in this thread.
So I guess to answer his question someone should have said 0-10 yrs.
All the "proof" is what was brought out in this thread.
I hope we get to see the axe found the same day...by his friend.
And Mabey a description of how these came from the ground...soil compaction..depth.. other associated artifacts...ect.. so far just two points of completely the wrong material and style for anywhere in South Carolina that just happen to match..in material and style of modern points sold in bulk from India.. and not one single other artifact or detail from a "dig".

Last edited:

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here are a few from his general area.

ForumRunner_20131104_133717.png

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20131104_133520.png
    ForumRunner_20131104_133520.png
    435 KB · Views: 123

Hognutz

Nov 3, 2013
Williamsburg County , S.C.
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If someone asks for opinions ..that's what they get
There is no rule against anything in this thread.
So I guess to answer his question someone should have said 0-10 yrs.
All the "proof" is what was brought out in this thread.
I hope we get to see the axe found the same day...by his friend.
And Mabey a description of how these came from the ground...soil compaction..depth.. other associated artifacts...ect.. so far just two points of completely the wrong material and style for anywhere in South Carolina that just happen to match..in material and style of modern points sold in bulk from India.. and not one single other artifact or detail from a "dig".

I have found a good few that is of different style and of different rock in S.C. . They traded a lot. Mine has been collected over years, and all in different places , so I know they are real. The most common is sandstone, but I have found one that is made of some kind of black rock too, that is not native to here.

I am along the coast, and I find hammerstones all the time of smooth riverrock that is not native to my AO. Of coarse it is around Cloumbia and such, but it got traded.....

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have found a good few that is of different style and of different rock in S.C. . They traded a lot. Mine has been collected over years, and all in different places , so I know they are real. The most common is sandstone, but I have found one that is made of some kind of black rock too, that is not native to here.

I am along the coast, and I find hammerstones all the time of smooth riverrock that is not native to my AO. Of coarse it is around Cloumbia and such, but it got traded.....

Talk is cheap lets see your finds. I havent rplied to this for the same reason. The lithic is all wrong for the area.

NC field hunter

Silver Member
Jul 29, 2012
Talk is cheap lets see your finds. I havent rplied to this for the same reason. The lithic is all wrong for the area.

Rock, lots of trading went on in the Carolinas. The lithic looks odd to me, as it does to you. However, I have no reason to think this gentleman's word is worthless. By the way Rock, photos are cheaper than words in the artifact world. South Carolina has numerous navigable waters. The Savannah river is one water way that this lithic could have traveled. Not to mention the coast line. South Carolina is called the melting pot, by the way!!

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That material or those styles are not from anywhere around South Carolina.
I belive he found them.
Just not that a Native American made them..or that they were in the ground long.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread