Indian Artifacts ??

MOGARDE

Oct 2, 2017
Missouri
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hi everyone! We were on the Missouri River sandbars over the weekend where we visit often and have found knives, scrapers and several points. We came across these two pieces. They have an odd shape to them but are made of really nice material.

We wanted to get input on whether these may actually be artifacts or if they could be natural breakage from traveling down the river. Thanks so much for your help!

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    372.5 KB · Views: 82
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    364.3 KB · Views: 67
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    155.8 KB · Views: 74
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    204.7 KB · Views: 74
  • 5.JPG
    5.JPG
    236 KB · Views: 65
Upvote 0

arrow86

Silver Member
May 6, 2014
Eastern Shore Maryland
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They definitely look worked to me, but with the odd shape of them maybe they are what’s left of a core that they knocked larger chunks off to make into points or scrapers. Pic 3 shows some nice flaking tho so maybe it was a large scraper.

OP
OP
M

MOGARDE

Oct 2, 2017
Missouri
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Cool! Seemed so weird to me that they were so similar in shape. I didn't know if they could be some kind of scraper or hand axe or something. It appeared worked but I just wasn't sure. I'm still a bit new at this. Thank so much for your input!

Old Pueblo

Bronze Member
Mar 7, 2017
Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First piece looks like a scraper or a core from which smaller pieces were broken off to make tools out of. The is also an artifact, but its probably just debitage. NA people did make some pretty crude looking tools, though. Thats something you always have to consider.

NCPeaches

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2013
Western Piedmont North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Definitely worked and I love the material! Same as everyone said, maybe scrapers or cores but I'd keep my eyes open for that color material now, you might find some nice projectile points made from it. Great find!

OP
OP
M

MOGARDE

Oct 2, 2017
Missouri
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That's exciting to hear! Thank you so much! Will keep my eyes open for sure!

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pic #3 really shows the work. I like finding those beasty tools like them.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread