Indian Camp Search ????

outdoorsup

May 9, 2004
Lake Ozark, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Whites 4900, Garrett Ace 250
The picture attached is a satilite image of a place I used to work and live. Back when I was a kid 23 years ago, University of TN would do a field trip to this location about twice a year with some of students. The students would conduct digs to recover artifacts from what I was told was a semi-permanent camp. It was not uncommon to see people in the field with buckets after the farmer disked up the ground prior to planting. He got tired of running people off so he quit plowing up the area and only allowed the college to dig in the area. He has long since passed away and I get out that way 2 -3 times a year. I'm looking to hunt this area but really don't know where to start. I will not be able to hunt the field, but I can hunt the river bed that is shown in the picture. I can hunt the East side of the river as well as the entire river bottom and the spring/cave. I will be using a canoe to get to the area so the river is reasonably deep, but has several shoels and shallow rapids. Anyone have any advice for how to search this area, what to look for, etc. I'm very much a novice but I have found a few arrowheads in the area when I was a kid. This area is in Middle Tennessee but there is some confussion as to the tribes in the area. I believe they where Cherokee (spelling) but not sure. The picture shows two areas marked as camps because I could not remeber which area was the exact spot. they are only about 800 meters apart, so I planned to search the river bed from one point to the other.

Advice on hunting this area?? Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• indian camp.jpg
    indian camp.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 392
Upvote 0

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm 11 & White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If there are gravel bars, hunt them, sand is no good.
Look on high ground, (above flood plain), eroded banks, gullys,
as near the water as possible.
Look for (shoals), shallow crossings where they could easily get to the water from their camp.

Good luck, Fossis............

Cannonman17

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2006
Wisconsin
IMO anywhere around there where there is disturbed ground of any kind you would have a chance of finding something, bank erosion, farming, anything. I would myself hit any and all shoreline along that stretch of river and any and all gravel bars you can find, go slow and take your time because artifacts have a way of blending in quite well. The caves would be almost certain to contain artifacts also. If you find banks breaking away and washing into the river check them very close as well as the immediate area down stream. Let us know what you find!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread