Indian Game Balls ??

award11

Apr 4, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have found a handfull of these around this place and my grandfather said they used to call em moon balls when he was a kid. Most people think they are cannon balls, and they are almost as heavy as a cannon ball would be but they are not a cannon ball. I've had people tell me they are meteorites, but they are not metallic. They are not magnetic. My metal detector (Fisher) doesn't pick them up. We busted one open one time and they have a silver, metallic looking, crystallizedlike substance in them. It reminded me of "fools gold" ??? They vary insize from marble -- tennis ball size. Any help would be appreciated. southern middle tennesseE.
In "The Natural and Aborigin History of Tennessee (1823) author John Haywood describes them as
" In the country within the limits of this state,,
called the Chickasaw purchase, between the Tennessee
river and the Mississippi, and near the latter
river, are found in many places, balls which at
first sight seem to be cannon balls, to which theii
resemblance is very striking. They are round and
«f a dark colour, but are composed of sand within,
and in the centre is a small cavity, containing fine
particles of very white sand. The shape is like
that which is given to the vitrified, round and hollow
su«bstances, which are found in the vicinity of
the Cumberland liver, where it most nearly approaches
the Tennessee, in the lower parts of Stuart
county. The latter are supposed to have been thrown
up in the times of earthquakes, from subterraneous
fires, through apertures of a rounded form, which
were opened via Biany parts of th© country, givingvent to the passages of sand, and fused materials.The motion by which they ascended, was such as
produced rotundity iu the rolled or upheaved mass,
and met the external air something like that, perhaps,
which in a kettle of boiling water fixes watery
globules on the surface." View attachment 774349 View attachment 774350 View attachment 774352

Last edited:
Upvote 0

jdsly

Mar 7, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 350
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Geodes maybe?

Plumbata

Bronze Member
May 13, 2012
Wyoming
Detector(s) used
White's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey there, those stones look like ironstone concretions that eroded out of a sedimentary layer somewhere. They can form in coal seams, shale, and locally I've collected them from a band rich in the spherical stones sandwiched in a very thick seam of sandstone. They are not indian-related, though I wouldn't be surprised if they collected and altered them for various purposes. Probably would make good net-weights.

Without pics of the broken stone it is hard to say, but Pyrite/fools gold (Iron Sulfide) makes sense. Over many years of being exposed, the pyrite oxidizes essentially into iron rust. Ever seen concrete sidewalks or walls with strange streaks of rust coming from an item exposed on the surface? Most of the time, if you look closely, the source of the rust is a chunk of dull, powdery pyrite, or similar mineral that wound up in the gravel batch.

OP
OP
A

award11

Apr 4, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
@Stephen - Hmm, I dunno... I looked everywhere for the one I broke open years ago but can't find it. I hate to break this one open bc it's so perfect. I've found most of them in fields, not in the gravel. Hopefully someone else will chime in and verify or negate your opinion. Thanks for sharing the info !

JmCraz8

Bronze Member
Apr 2, 2011
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Currently using: XP DEUS, T2 SE and the Garret Carrot lol
Have used: Garret Ace 250, Garret AT Pro, Garret Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Was thinking geodes also?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread