Indian Grinding Rock

beulahlandgirl

Apr 14, 2010
oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this indian grinding rock or stone tool of some sort the other day in a creek bank about 10" to 12" down from ground level. It's about 3 3/4" long. My sis, niece and I found all kinds of flint in this site and decided to dig into the bank a little and we pulled out tons more flint and this piece. It fits your hand perfectly with a groove on one side to fit your thumb and on the other side there is a groove for your first finger and you can see where the tip is worn down from use.

Attachments

• 20101229_1.JPG
    20101229_1.JPG
    18.4 KB · Views: 457
  • 20101229_5.JPG
    20101229_5.JPG
    16.6 KB · Views: 435
Upvote 0
F

Flintfinder of Mo.

Cant really tell by the pics, but to me it looks like a natural creek tumbled rock... Jmo..... John

Charmin

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
White's Prizm III and Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You need to get a better picture of it, sis(take some pictures out in the natural sunlight).....I do think it might have been some kind of mano or pestle because it has wear/pecking on the pointed end. This was found in a firepit/midden in the creek bank. The bank was covered with flint and I found one broken point. We should have taken pictures of the firepits I guess, but I was too busy trying to pick up all that flint ;D and you were cutting in front of me :tongue3: . There were three firepits showing when we walked up to the bank, and in the pits you can see the layers of charcoal and red burnt rocks. From the top of the creek bank down to the firepits was about 2'. It will be fun to go back and see what else we can find :thumbsup: .

Attachments

• IMG_8744 (650x434).jpg
    IMG_8744 (650x434).jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 410
OP
OP
beulahlandgirl

beulahlandgirl

Apr 14, 2010
oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Flintfinder of Mo. said:
Cant really tell by the pics, but to me it looks like a natural creek tumbled rock... Jmo..... John

Hey John thanks for your comments, I've got to take some better pics outside tomorrow to get the tip to show up better. Like my sister said in her comments, it came out of a fire pit area with lots of other evidence that this was a campsite. There are definite grooves where your fingers fit just right and the tip is angled off like it was used to cracks nuts or some other such use. Thanks again!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread