Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Today I returned to the old church that is just loaded with Indian heads. Today I got seven(1881,1898,1899, 1900, 1901, 1902 x2). Also got a 1884 v nickel in a spill with one of the Indians and another 1910 v nearby. IHP total for this site is now 24. This is all in an area not much larger than your average swimming pool. Where are all the Barbers and seateds. Only found one:BangHead:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    572 KB · Views: 207
Upvote 27

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe somebody sucked all the silver outta there and left the IH signals. It would be nice to snag some silver but I'd be happy to dig IH cents all day long!

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Indians are probably masking the sound of that sweet silver. Keep swinging, low slow and keep digging. Grid search from all angles, its in there hiding!

Cool hunt, nice spot!

OP
OP
toasted

toasted

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Maybe somebody sucked all the silver outta there and left the IH signals. It would be nice to snag some silver but I'd be happy to dig IH cents all day long!
Most likely right because there's no way only one silver was dropped with all these Indians and v nickels. The Indians read in the pull tab range. I did dig a bunch of wheats that ring up just like a dime so they wouldn't have left those. That's what confuses me

Last edited:

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe previous hunters with a different machine with different settings/disc would account for the discrepancy. At any rate I'd keep hitting it, there's gotta be more silver for you there!

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Most likely right because there's no way only one silver was dropped with all these Indians and v nickels. The Indians read in the pull tab range. I did dig a bunch of wheats that ring up just like a dime so they wouldn't have left those. That's what confuses me

On most machines IH cents don't come up in the pull-tab range unless they are fatties. Also wheat cents generally don't come up as dimes either. As JCache said someone may have cherry-picked the silver that would have come up higher than IH or wheat cents. There are probably deeper silver coins that you are missing. You may want to go over the spot with a Minelab machine for the extra depth. The AT Pro is a good all-around machine, but will not get the same depth as an Explorer SE Pro.

IAMZIM

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2011
Butte City, Montana
Detector(s) used
ace 250/garret pinpointer, garret AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Today I returned to the old church that is just loaded with Indian heads. Today I got seven(1881,1898,1899, 1900, 1901, 1902 x2). Also got a 1884 v nickel in a spill with one of the Indians and another 1910 v nearby. IHP total for this site is now 24. This is all in an area not much larger than your average swimming pool. Where are all the Barbers and seateds. Only found one:BangHead:
Gotta be one in there somewhere.....

OP
OP
toasted

toasted

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'll hit it with my vaquero. It's plenty deep. The site is small and not very trashy so deep is my last hope

OP
OP
toasted

toasted

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Only silver has been a 1902 O barber and a 57 Washington that I pulled from a small trashy area. More evidence its been hit before

Inspector

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
Finger Lakes Region, Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Nox 600, w/6", Simplex+WHP, Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Toltec, Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a nice lot of coins, I'm sure the silver is there for you & GL finding it

JeffInMass

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2006
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Explorer XS, Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Silver or not, keep popping those Indians out of there and the next one might be an 1877- GL & HH!

-- Jeff --

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think it's very interesting that all those Indians were left behind - The problem with the cherry picked theory is that you found wheaties ,
that you said were hitting similar to a dime signal - Silver dime ? If that's the case then you are correct nobody would have left those
which would suggest that there either isn't much silver present or you just haven't put your coil over it yet . I don't think depth is an
issue here - I don't believe that silver dimes would be deeper than the Indian Head cents of the same period .

thrifty76now

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2009
Sunman Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT MINELAB SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice bunch of Indian head pennies there. I can remember when I first got my White's 6000 DI pro I was neglecting the numbers around 60 since the wheat pennies usually struck up to at least 70.so that might why some one left those for you.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Man you slaughtered the tribe today and pulled a pair of V's!!! That hunt would please most coin shooters here on Tnet. Nine oldies in one hunt at a site that has produced many others. You have a great place to swing the coil.

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Wow that's a lot of Injuns in one hunt! The barbers and seateds are there but are just shy. Maybe try changing your settings a bit.

Congrats!

qaela4

Bronze Member
Jul 24, 2014
Keene, New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Quick Silver,Tesoro Silver Sabre uMax.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
An Indian Head is as good as most any silver to me, the first coin I even found was an '04 IH in my driveway when I was 11 or 12. We lived in a 1800's house and we dug it up with our bike tires from riding around one of the big trees on our "racetrack".

OP
OP
toasted

toasted

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks all. Love digging the IHP but I now have found 39 Indians this year compared to only 35 silvers. Gonna have to do some door knocking next year if I want to get all those Rosie's and mercs to pad my silver count

OP
OP
toasted

toasted

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Not gonna post Indians anymore unless its a fatty, 1877, or silver is involved in the hunt. Love seeing everyone else's though to compare the years and conditions

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
DAG GONE TOAST YOU SURE LOVE DEM INJUNS LOOKS LIKE THEY ARE HAVING A CONFRENCE WITH I BELEIVE LINCOLN . NICE COINS.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread