Indian head- Silver Color

undertaker

May 26, 2006
Green Mountains of Vermont
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 and Whites Bullseye II Pinpointer
I found this indian head penny and realized its not copper like most. What metals was this one made of? It feels light like it was made of ground up tin foil. What was the reason for the change over to this metal from copper then back to copper?

Attachments

• 114_1417.JPG
    114_1417.JPG
    14.2 KB · Views: 361
  • 114_1416.JPG
    114_1416.JPG
    15.7 KB · Views: 359

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They were made of a copper nickel composition from 1859 to early 1864, from 1864 to the end of production they were a bronze composition. Yours could be coated to look silver, or struck on a dime planchet. If struck on the wrong planchet it would have some collector value. Yours looks full size and it appears there may be some copper color showing through, so I suspect it is coated with mercury or something . If you could weigh it that would help.

hasbeen

Jan 4, 2006
If I remember correctly from childhood experiences,a mercury coated penny will turn almost black after a short period of time.I believe it would more likely to have been nickel plated as many pistols were from that time period.

hasbeen

OP
OP
undertaker

undertaker

May 26, 2006
Green Mountains of Vermont
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 and Whites Bullseye II Pinpointer
I havnt had much response with this post, am I to assume that this indian head penny isnt common. When I posted it I thought it was a common coin like the steel lincon penny made because the original metals where scarce. When you talk about plating, is this done at the mint or by a individual that own it at one time. I do know its much lighter than all indian pennys I own and when you drop it on a hard surface it doesnt make much noise. It seems like if it was a regular penny coated it would weight more than the average penny but this one seems to weigh less. I will try to get a clearer pic of it posted, so you can see the date. I will try to find a scale where I work that is capable of weighing such a light piece.

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it was plated it was done after it left the mint. You would have to weigh it to be sure, if it is light it may be a fake. The only other possibility is it is struck on a dime planchet, but it looks full size. If you know someone who reloads ammunition get them to weigh it on a powder scale. If you get any more info make sure you come back and let us know.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread