Indian head?

FieldSearcher

Greenie
Jun 9, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I posted this in the "What is it forum" and it was suggested that it is indian related. What do you think? It's from South Jersey.

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg

Upvote 0

joe_dirt

Jan 15, 2013
Southeast Virginia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2, Makro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I'm far from an expert in this area but to me it looks like some sort of souvenir a tourist might buy

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Looks like a replica of a Pre-Colombian figurine. The clay is of low quality with much debris mixed in. I agree with Joe Dirt.

OP
OP
F

FieldSearcher

Greenie
Jun 9, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It could very well be a tourist piece, but I don't know how it would end up in the middle of a field. With at that said, I've seen weirder things happen. The stuff in the clay looks like crushed rocks or something. Thanks for the input!

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Contact Joshua Ream or Neanderthal on here. Joshua is an expert on South American pieces and I too believe this may be a tourist piece. I have one very similar.

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Cool find. Congrats

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The crushed rock is the tempering. Indians used several different tempers, but crushed shell was one of the most common. Tempering of some sort is necessary in pottery to keep it from cracking during firing. Gary

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong
It's an adorno, or a decorative piece applied to a larger piece of pottery. Extremely common in Mexico, Central America, South America and the Caribbean, but less common in the US. They are classic souvenirs from a lot of touristy places, but I don't recognize that style. Many of the styles from the big sites in Mexico were almost mass produced in ancient times, and are very easy to identify.

If you find pottery shards in your area, do they look like that? The color and stone temper are unique looking.

OP
OP
F

FieldSearcher

Greenie
Jun 9, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you for the input! I’ve learned a lot. I’ve been reading stuff all weekend but I can’t determine if it’s real. Unfortunately, I guess this particular piece is still a mystery. I’ve found some flakes at this field and the tip of a broken arrowhead, but no pottery or anything, but I can’t say I’ve really been looking for that. I don’t know if any pottery found here would be similar or not. The black specks are like s crushed black rock, but I don’t know what type of rock it could possibly be. It’s definitely not shell. I can’t understand why a tourist piece would be in the middle of a field, but like I said, I’ve seen weirder. Could be someone playing tricks or it ended up there by some other means. Thank you again for your input!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread