Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2013
SC Lowcountry
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Sovereign GT.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hi;

Many years ago I dug out a deep trash pit in a rural part of the coastal SC Lowcountry. The bottles I pulled out were 1880s period. I was still hitting some brick and oyster shell debris below the bottles so I kept digging down. At about 4 feet I ran into this axe shaped stone. Since this area is coastal it is primarily sand and finding stone and rock is not common. I was still feeling occasional pieces of shell and small brick with the probe deeper but no heavy layer of anything. I don't know if I was in a well but there were no walls of any sort and it was too dangerous to dig deeper without fear of collapse of the hole. My thought is that I was digging the trash dump of an 1880s period home. I'm guessing the stone may have been a souvenir that was dropped and broken and then discarded. The thing that has me thinking fantasy piece is that the stone is very smooth almost as if it was sanded down and polished when made. I would guess that if it was an Indian tool it would have been chipped from chert or something with a hard edge.

I'm spring cleaning my display cabinet and if this is a broken fantasy piece I see no reason to hold onto it. Opinions?

thb.jpg
thf.jpg
ths.jpg
thho.jpg

Upvote 0

CHUDs

Feb 13, 2014
Santa Cruz, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like an adze or celt...I'm no expert but it certainly looks like a keeper piece!

willjo

Bronze Member
Apr 30, 2015
Twin City, Ga.
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTA 350 and Garrett ace 150
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Celt with damaged end, really nice piece, would hold on to it if you like artifacts.

capsmith

Jan 10, 2011
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
White
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is for sure , a celt . With a damaged end. A good one at that.

monsterrack

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2013
Southwest Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett, and Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a Celt no doubt about it. Don't throw it away:icon_thumright:, but if you do let me send you my address.:laughing7:

BearCreek

Apr 10, 2016
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 300
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I'd hang on to that for sure! Very nice!

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Keeper damaged or not. I keep all Celts broken or not.

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What everybody said. Great find!

OP
OP
Dug

Dug

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2013
SC Lowcountry
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Sovereign GT.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks for the verification. I'll keep it with my points. Glad to know it is not a fantasy piece.

Buckleberry

Sep 4, 2010
Yep a celt with broken poll end.
Many of them were in fact fully or partially sanded down, on gritty stone or using sand to get that smooth finish.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions