Indian Pottery Sherds

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've been out on the desert for almost a week, now. Here is a video of some potsherds I found on an Indian trail east of the Cibola National Wildlife Refuge. I will not give its exact location. It is pretty rugged up here. That word is spelled "potsherd" but is pronounced "potshard". The sherds in the video are HUNDREDS of years old and may be even a THOUSAND years old or more! Lying right where the water vessel broke all those years ago. The top-side is bleached to a gray from the sun but the bottom-side is a BUFF color.... light brown. I have found potsherds on more than one occasion. These moments make the hot sun and sunburned neck worth the hike!

In this vid, you will notice that I go right over a sherd without seeing it in the view finder!

A little water in a desert wash can save a life
Water1.JPG

Too much water in a desert wash can take a life!
Bone.JPG ╦╦C

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wonder what the climate was like around there a thousand years ago?. Maybe cooler and wetter? I looking around those places that were once occupied eons ago. Just the little pieces and signs kind of tell a story of what it was maybe like long ago. I'll bet the Colorado river was like a garden of eden lined with marsh grasses and people on the shallow banks casting fishing nets from reed boats in those times.

OP
OP
TerryC

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

OP
OP
TerryC

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here is the bridge that you must cross to go north from AZ toward Blyth, CA. It crosses the Colorado River.

╦╦C

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Awesome place to explore! :occasion14:

OP
OP
TerryC

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Flint (chert) is microcrystaline quartz, used by ancient Indians to make arrowheads and other tools. Agate is also microcrystaline quartz. I found these agate chips along one of these Indian trails. It appears the Indians also "knapped" tools out of agate!
Agate Sherds 1.JPG Agate Sherds 2.JPG ╦╦C

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread