Derek752

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2006
Central,Ny
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Met up with SGTM8411 ( MIKE ) and Barry and hit 2 Mohawk indian sites today.

First site we hunted is where I found my Phillip IV cob back in April & those cool carved lead animal figures.
The sites been cleared of hay and is almost down to bare ground. I managed several good finds including yet another carved turtle !! He is small ...very small but really is a work of art !

Second Mohawk site is about 5 miles to the west and I've not hunted in about 3 or 4 years and only about 1/5th of the whole field is plowed this season but all 3 of us managed some good finds !

Here I dug a nice colonial type buckle and a few musketballs.

Last photo is of a pair of cuff links I dug Wed. morning in the G.W. button field.

Hopefully Mike and Barry can get their finds posted when they have time. First time meeting and hunting with Mike today. Had a great time ! . he's a good guy

Thanks for looking :thumbsup: and Good Hunting ! :headbang:

Derek

Attachments

• 024.JPG
    024.JPG
    52.4 KB · Views: 496
  • 026.JPG
    026.JPG
    38.2 KB · Views: 497
  • 032.JPG
    032.JPG
    35.4 KB · Views: 495
  • 034.JPG
    034.JPG
    39.2 KB · Views: 493
Upvote 0

fisherexcexlid

Greenie
Jun 23, 2008
Detector(s) used
fisher excel id
is that animal fur thing metal or did you find it while you were digging something up...Great finds tho :D

OP
OP
Derek752

Derek752

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2006
Central,Ny
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
fisherexcexlid said:
is that animal fur thing metal or did you find it while you were digging something up...Great finds tho :D

If you mean the turtle...it is carved out of lead .

D. :icon_pirat:

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good haul!!! :thumbsup:

SgtM8411

Greenie
Jan 16, 2007
Johnstown NY
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, minelab explorer SE, minelab excalibur, Tesoro Cortes, Teknetics T2 SE, Whites Surfmaster PI, Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Derek,
Thanks again for allowing me to hunt with you and Barry. I had an awesome time and learned quite a bit from the experience. (like bring more bug spray...im still itchin') lol I look forward to doing it again soon.
Mike

Colonial Zoyboy

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2006
PA
Detector(s) used
White's XL Pro 6000
YOOOOOOOO, Derek Dude, I looooove those lead animal carvings. :thumbsup: I have never seen any of them prior to you posting on this forum. I can just see the thrill that they would bring to the metal datecting table. :blob3:

Your love for Colonial artifacts is unparalleled in this hobby that we like to call metal datecting. You're a true pro, Derek Dude! :notworthy:

It is good to see you hunting with Mike and Barry. I can just see the great recoveries being made in the near metal datecting future! :icon_salut:

Keep on posting those COLONIAL finds, my good buddy from the Upstate of NY!!!!! :occasion14:

Kyle

silverfreak

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Wherever Silver's Hidin'
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorers and E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome stuff buddy. That lead carving is sweet. I've never seen anything like it. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Derek752

Derek752

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2006
Central,Ny
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
SgtM8411 said:
Derek,
Thanks again for allowing me to hunt with you and Barry. I had an awesome time and learned quite a bit from the experience. (like bring more bug spray...im still itchin') lol I look forward to doing it again soon.
Mike

Your welcome anytime Mike :icon_thumleft: Not a huge amount of finds but I thought I'd take ya to the indian sites because its a different type of place to hunt and the finds are unique :icon_biggrin:

Yeah those skeeters were ruthless ! :icon_pale:

Maybe next week us 3 can hit a few colonial type sites :occasion14:

D. ;D

OP
OP
Derek752

Derek752

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2006
Central,Ny
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Colonial Zoyboy said:
YOOOOOOOO, Derek Dude, I looooove those lead animal carvings. :thumbsup: I have never seen any of them prior to you posting on this forum. I can just see the thrill that they would bring to the metal datecting table. :blob3:

Your love for Colonial artifacts is unparalleled in this hobby that we like to call metal datecting. You're a true pro, Derek Dude! :notworthy:

It is good to see you hunting with Mike and Barry. I can just see the great recoveries being made in the near metal datecting future! :icon_salut:

Keep on posting those COLONIAL finds, my good buddy from the Upstate of NY!!!!! :occasion14:

Kyle

Thanks Colonial Kyle - Spanish wilver KING :icon_king:

Those carved lead animal figures are really unique ! I've seen finds from this particular on display at the nearby museum and if they have carved figures like what I found at the site they dont have them on display.

I have searched online looking for such carvings but come up with nothing....Maybe they're one-of-a-kinds !

I'm adding a photo of the 5 I have now :thumbsup:

Good luck fellow Colonial maniac ! :headbang:

Derek :icon_study:

Attachments

• 008.JPG
    008.JPG
    52 KB · Views: 262
OP
OP
Derek752

Derek752

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2006
Central,Ny
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
silverfreak said:
Awesome stuff buddy. That lead carving is sweet. I've never seen anything like it. :thumbsup:

Thanks S.F. :thumbsup:

I remember when I dug the first one...a little turtle ... at first it looked like just more melted lead dug up , but good thing I looked at it closer !
Lesson learned for me...bring all finds home -wash off the dirt- and examine closely !

HH !

Derek :icon_pirat:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread