Indian scalps? oh my, almost but nope tho as unique & unusual non the less

inspectorgadget

Jul 14, 2012
Indianapolis
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT with 10"DD coil, Sun Ray probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found a small old metal trunk & in this trunk there were what I first thought yikes might be Native American scalps or similar artifacts of some sort. Well with much help & thanks to the guys in the "what is it" section turns out this stuff isn't Indian it's Scottish in origin. Interesting stuff if you have never seen them before. Old Sporrans with Cantles.. The first one seems to be silver but is not marked in any way other than a maker that I can NOT find ANY info on!
DSC02550.JPG DSC02552a.jpg Picture 2.png

The rest are more complete & what I thought might have been scalps.. none are marked
DSC02557.JPG DSC02558.JPG DSC02566.JPG Picture 3.png

Another one
DSC02560.JPG DSC02561.JPG Picture 4.png Picture 5.png

Another one
DSC02562.JPG DSC02563.JPG

Odds & ends
DSC02564.JPG DSC02565.JPG

The trunk
DSC02567.JPG DSC02568.JPG

Last edited:

Nickleanddime

Jul 21, 2013
a, ohio
Detector(s) used
A $10 garage sale find.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lol no they are kilt bags. But I could see where you'd get the idea.

CladSpends2

Jan 11, 2010
Wilton, Maine
Detector(s) used
White's M6
Lol no they are kilt bags. But I could see where you'd get the idea.

The proper term is sporran. There are day sporrans, dress sporrans, and parade sporrans here. Possibly some old piper or drummer owned the box you found them in. Parade or military sporrans have no "pocket" or clasp to open to put things in. At least that is how ours are, can only advise you on my own limited experience. Dress and day sporrans do usually contain a clasp that opens to put money and such into. Day sporrans are nice but not as elaborate as the dress sporrans. Military are also to my knowledge longer. Most are made with horsehair, again in my experience. I could go back and refer to pics to try and identify each, but I think you get the idea. They could of course just have belonged to an old Scot military man, it wouldn't be limited to a pipe and drum band. I hope this helps. If you don't find the value being what you want, contact a Scottish group or a local piper or pipe band, I am sure a donation to their historical society would be greatly appreciated and I am sure they would display them and you would have the satisfaction of knowing your find was appreciated and displayed proudly.

T.

OP
OP
inspectorgadget

inspectorgadget

Jul 14, 2012
Indianapolis
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT with 10"DD coil, Sun Ray probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The proper term is sporran. There are day sporrans, dress sporrans, and parade sporrans here. Possibly some old piper or drummer owned the box you found them in. Parade or military sporrans have no "pocket" or clasp to open to put things in. At least that is how ours are, can only advise you on my own limited experience. Dress and day sporrans do usually contain a clasp that opens to put money and such into. Day sporrans are nice but not as elaborate as the dress sporrans. Military are also to my knowledge longer. Most are made with horsehair, again in my experience. I could go back and refer to pics to try and identify each, but I think you get the idea. They could of course just have belonged to an old Scot military man, it wouldn't be limited to a pipe and drum band. I hope this helps. If you don't find the value being what you want, contact a Scottish group or a local piper or pipe band, I am sure a donation to their historical society would be greatly appreciated and I am sure they would display them and you would have the satisfaction of knowing your find was appreciated and displayed proudly.

T.

That is some great informative information thanks for sharing it with me! Only the black one with the single white tassel has a pocket, non of the others have a pocket. I dunno who owned these but I think a leather worker got a hold of them & was going to do something with or to them. They were in the very bottom of the box covered by as many newer raw type pieces of leather as someone could fit in the box. I was very surprised to find these underneath!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread