NGE

Silver Member
May 27, 2008
S.E. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Explorer XS II, Fisher 1266-X
Primary Interest:
Other
A few years ago whilst looking for bottle dumps along the Rouge river in Livonia, Michigan I found this stone tool poking out of the riverbank. I pulled it out and this is what it looks like. There was an indian tribe around here somewhere called the Potawanomi's, And Tonquish was their chief. I have searched all over the net, and the pestles I see do not have an enlarged end like this one has. It weighs about 2 to 3lbs. It is made with an open grained rock, maybe rough granite. Here is the pics......NGE (T)

Attachments

• tool in hand.jpg
    tool in hand.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 2,684
  • stone tool.jpg
    stone tool.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 1,938
  • on its side.jpg
    on its side.jpg
    8.5 KB · Views: 1,614
  • the bottom.jpg
    the bottom.jpg
    10.6 KB · Views: 887
  • another shot on side.jpg
    another shot on side.jpg
    9.3 KB · Views: 871
  • top side diameter.jpg
    top side diameter.jpg
    10.6 KB · Views: 680
  • tool in hand.jpg
    tool in hand.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 930
  • stone tool.jpg
    stone tool.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 689
  • on its side.jpg
    on its side.jpg
    8.5 KB · Views: 622
  • the bottom.jpg
    the bottom.jpg
    10.6 KB · Views: 640
  • another shot on side.jpg
    another shot on side.jpg
    9.3 KB · Views: 684
  • top side diameter.jpg
    top side diameter.jpg
    10.6 KB · Views: 596
Upvote 0

Cannonman17

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2006
Wisconsin
Very unusual artifact for your area. Was probably in use long before Chief what's his name was born though. The flaired end is normal.

OP
OP
NGE

NGE

Silver Member
May 27, 2008
S.E. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Is it possible that some indian found it too, and made use of it? Is there any value to it? If not, I'll use it for a paperweight. I have so much stuff around here from 48 years of metal detecting, that I was gonna start Ebaying some of it next year. I am mostly a detectorist, and post mainly in " Today's Finds " but I also eyeball alot of stuff, and if it looks unusual, I'll take it home.......NGE (T)

F

Flintfinder of Mo.

As Far As value, I looked it up in Indian Artifacts of the Midwest. Its in the $100.00 Range. John

Like everyone else said, its a bell pestle. I know there are collectors who will pay a decent price for those, but its like anything else, depends on the collector and how bad he/she wants it...
Nice find though. Especially from just lookin for old bottles!! :thumbsup:

tomclark

Bronze Member
Dec 18, 2006
Tampa Bay, FL
Detector(s) used
ShadowX2, TEJON, Eyes, Pony Shovel
Primary Interest:
Other
"Is it possible that some indian found it too, and made use of it?"

Just to be clear. It is an indian artifact and I believe were used from archaic times up to historic tribes.
A nice one.

OP
OP
NGE

NGE

Silver Member
May 27, 2008
S.E. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks for the replies, but like everything else I own, my wife will inherit, then she can deal with it ;D.....NGE (T)

F

Flintfinder of Mo.

Ohh, I would never sell such a find either. They are hard to come by, you did a great job in snagging that one. If you can remember where you found it , I would go back. Their has got to be much more. no kidding John

Ohio_Doug

Dec 5, 2007
Southeast Ohio
Flintfinder of Mo. said:
Ohh, I would never sell such a find either. They are hard to come by, you did a great job in snagging that one. If you can remember where you found it , I would go back. Their has got to be much more. no kidding John

My thoughts exactly, I would definetly go back. That's a rare find indeed and likely much older than from that Indian tribe.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just a rock, but I will be glad to take it off your hands............ ;D

Really nice pestle :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

OP
OP
NGE

NGE

Silver Member
May 27, 2008
S.E. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Treasure_hunter, I only have 2 metal detectors, and one rock. But, I am happy.....NGE (T)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread