indian stone tools and a cavemans club?????

treasurehuntr2

May 21, 2006
san francisco, ca.
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
indian stone tools and a caveman's club?????

I don't know. It just looks like all the ones I've ever seen pictured. The place for a tie is etched out at the appropriate place on the stone that has the flat area placed the direction for "pounding". The tool itself seems to have been intentionally "cut" where there were two kinds of stione ammassed together, the harder of the two intended to be the flat area for doing the pounding. And I don't know what kind of stone this part is , but it's black and HARD!! Alnost like metal. Oh and there does appear to be wear on this flat black side as if it has done some kind of hitting or hammering. I could be nuts but I really think that's what this is!!! The rest I'm fairly sure are indian tools or weapons. I live in S.F, and plan on taking them all to the UC Berkeley archeological department soon. They have a very good program and museum there. Anyway, hope my excitement isn't way ahead of itself. Just wanted to share "the possibilities" Any knowledge about any of them I very grateful for....

Attachments

• IMG_1676.JPG
    IMG_1676.JPG
    41.3 KB · Views: 2,327
  • IMG_1678.JPG
    IMG_1678.JPG
    38.7 KB · Views: 2,159
  • IMG_1680.JPG
    IMG_1680.JPG
    41.1 KB · Views: 2,913
  • IMG_1682.JPG
    IMG_1682.JPG
    38.1 KB · Views: 2,082
  • IMG_1685.JPG
    IMG_1685.JPG
    49.3 KB · Views: 10,493
  • IMG_1688.JPG
    IMG_1688.JPG
    45.1 KB · Views: 3,739
  • IMG_1725.JPG
    IMG_1725.JPG
    33 KB · Views: 2,076
  • IMG_1673.JPG
    IMG_1673.JPG
    46.5 KB · Views: 2,439
  • IMG_1721.JPG
    IMG_1721.JPG
    38.9 KB · Views: 2,037
  • IMG_1713.JPG
    IMG_1713.JPG
    37.7 KB · Views: 2,039
Upvote 0

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: indian stone tools and a caveman's club?????

Sorry, I'm not here to argue, there could be debate over early stone objects, which may be crude artifacts or which may be a naturally occurring phenomena that only appear to have been used by humans. It is impossible to tell if a rock was broken off another rock to be used as a tool with out there being some kind of knapping or rework done on it.

A fracture flake broken off a core piece to be used as a blade, or chopper tool by early human is an artifact, but a rock broken off another rock to be thrown one time at an object is generally not considered much more then a rock, there is no way to know or prove if it was ever used as a tool. A rock throw one time is just a rock, a rock fashioned for throwing is an artifact.

I found utterly thousands upon thousands of flakings from the knapping of points on the campsites I hunted. While a archaeologist may consider the flakings as signs of activity while excavating a site, they rarely collect all of them and most point collectors do not either.

I sold probably 60% of my finds to help finance the finer pieces in my collection.

uniface

Silver Member
Jun 4, 2009
Central Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
Other

http://www.ele.net/flake/flake.htm

Food for thought :read2:

Trophy Hunting / Collecting is a different mentality from Archaeology. In the first, people are centering on their own ideas (size, workmanship, material, completeness &c.). In the second, the artifacts themselves are center stage.

creek astronaut

Bronze Member
Feb 16, 2009
fairfield county,ohio

I agree with you uniface.not to get off the subject too much,i have always tried to kind of have an archy approach when i am out hunting.if i am hunting a site,a cornfield for example,especially at a new site that i havent hunted much or at all.I pay attention to what types of flakes are on the ground and the materials being used,not just lookin for the artifact that goes in the frame.i always keep a mental note of concentration levels and where in correlation with the rest of the surrounding area,topography,water sources etc,i even go as far as keeping all this info in a log for each site i hunt,sometimes its pretty informative and fun when i go back and read my site logs.another example,i also try and pay attention to or find fire pit stones which are easy to recognize if you know what to look for,this is always a good indicator of what was going on at the site.i dont know how many hunters pay attention to this kind of stuff,it does help pass the time when i am not finding much,and it helps paint a picture of the past and what the site was being used for.apologize for the rambling.

savant365

Silver Member
Mar 28, 2007
Northwest Missouri
Detector(s) used
ACE 250

I pick up and bring home anything interesting. If it looks unusual or out of place and I don't know what it is I have a couple of friends that can tell me right off. I almost left this laying on the sandbar but it looked different and sure enough...it turned out to be a wooly mammoth tooth. I had never heard of or seen one before in my life. My point is pick it up and bring it home, you never know what you might leave behind.

Attachments

• tooth.jpg
    tooth.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 2,275
  • tooth.jpg
    tooth.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 1,503

creek astronaut

Bronze Member
Feb 16, 2009
fairfield county,ohio

savant365 said:
I pick up and bring home anything interesting. If it looks unusual or out of place and I don't know what it is I have a couple of friends that can tell me right off. I almost left this laying on the sandbar but it looked different and sure enough...it turned out to be a wooly mammoth tooth. I had never heard of or seen one before in my life. My point is pick it up and bring it home, you never know what you might leave behind.
very cool find!never know what you will find.thx for sharing the pic. :thumbsup:

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

What everyone said is right

OP
OP
treasurehuntr2

treasurehuntr2

May 21, 2006
san francisco, ca.
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter

TnMountains said:
What everyone said is right

I would just like to thank everyone for their input on this thread. If possible I am going to post here a couple more pics that I hope might be of interest. Two more views of the possible"flake" and acouple of others that peak my curiosity. Thanks again to all.

Attachments

• IMG_1717.JPG
    IMG_1717.JPG
    43.1 KB · Views: 1,903
  • IMG_1702.JPG
    IMG_1702.JPG
    41.4 KB · Views: 1,980
  • IMG_1689.JPG
    IMG_1689.JPG
    45.3 KB · Views: 1,880
  • IMG_1687.JPG
    IMG_1687.JPG
    42.9 KB · Views: 2,656
  • IMG_1697.JPG
    IMG_1697.JPG
    37.7 KB · Views: 1,439
  • IMG_1694.JPG
    IMG_1694.JPG
    42.9 KB · Views: 1,688

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I am not sure what the material is. Any ideas? The second picture is fractured sorta like a knock off but it could have been caused by many things. Its hard to see the work of man upon that stone but it could be possible. I rarely ever find any artifacts without finding the flint flakes and such. The flakes seem to come first for me when searching.
Next time at that site see if you see any of the smaller flakes. Are you hunting fields or water?
Thanks for a good post though. It has brought some good discussion.
Happy Huntin
TnMtns

OP
OP
treasurehuntr2

treasurehuntr2

May 21, 2006
san francisco, ca.
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter

TnMountains said:
I am not sure what the material is. Any ideas? The second picture is fractured sorta like a knock off but it could have been caused by many things. Its hard to see the work of man upon that stone but it could be possible. I rarely ever find any artifacts without finding the flint flakes and such. The flakes seem to come first for me when searching.
Next time at that site see if you see any of the smaller flakes. Are you hunting fields or water?
Thanks for a good post though. It has brought some good discussion.
Happy Huntin
TnMtns

Hi and thanks again TnMtns... I'm sorry but my knowledge of rocks and minerals is thus far about as limited as my knowledge of Indian artifacts...But I'm tryin!! The area that all of these have been found is alongside water. Some on the bank of a creek called "El Cerrito Creek" in Albany/El Cerrito CA. It runs down and thru "Albany hill", land that has a great deal of history with Indians in the last century. The other part of what I've collected has come from various places but always close to the bay or inlets from the bay, here in SF. Once, when I was digging by the creek, I began to notice that oddly there was an unusual amount of ALL THE SAME SIZE (about 1"X 3") greenish blue rocks. This started about a foot down. After digging another foot or so down I hit a mass of them (so many there was hardly any dirt within them) I wish I had a more exciting finish to this, but I just felt very much that I should not disturb whatever it was and I quickly covered the area (rocks first) back up and moved on.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Thats wild ! I wonder what those rock were?

uniface

Silver Member
Jun 4, 2009
Central Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
Other

With the exception of the chert flake (third from last), you've got what looks like some sort of sandstone. Obviously not first choice material, but when that's what's available, that's what you use.

For what this may be worth (assuming anything), the item in pictures 1-5 shows a lot of use wear (polish) on the working end. It's been broken, clearly, but it's been heavily used.

Picture number 9 shows clear evidence of having been modified by someone. Whether it was intended to be a tool, or was debitage removed and discarded in the course of shaping something is moot. It's not a "geofact" -- the removals are too purposeful and too numerous.

Same story with the item(s) in pictures 1-3 in the second set.

Casually made tools like these, often large, are a constant in shorter-term camp sites, from Paleo on down through time. The problem, as I see it, is that since they don't fit any of the usual mental templates of what a "tool" looks like, they get written off.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread