Indian tool? Ohio.

OldScout

Jun 19, 2014
Southwest Ohio, Indiana, KY area
Detector(s) used
Magnifying glass
Primary Interest:
Other
Hello. Normally I am searching for rocks or fossils, but came upon this in a creek bed and it looked out of place. All the other rocks are smooth and circular where I was looking. So, I threw it in my bag and figured I could look at it later. When I got home and looked at it there were several features that caught my attention. Although you can't see it in the photo, or even if you are looking at it, it seems like your hand molds to the rock-it is pretty neat. I can't quite figure out how it would go, as 2 positions seem to be very ergonomic. There is a flat end that, upon inspection, is smoother than the rest of the stone. There is also some kind of wedge, but, I don't know. I have never found anything Native American before. Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Sorry about the photos, the lens distorts the shape a little. Seems to be a wide angle lens.

Kind of exciting.

OS

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 113
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 101
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 95
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 95
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 97
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 109
Upvote 0
Sep 18, 2011
Very cool find. I would've certainly picked it up if I were you.
Unfortunately it looks like very weathered limestone in my opinion, with no manipulation done by man. Keep looking, they are out there. You will certainly know what it is when you find it.

Cosmo

Aug 22, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Artifacts go hand in hand with fossils.

S

stefen

You found what is typically called a "JUSTA"...

Just a rock...

Keep picking up rocks and eventually you will find the real deal...:thumbsup:

OP
OP
O

OldScout

Jun 19, 2014
Detector(s) used
Magnifying glass
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks everyone for taking a look. A lot of people mentioned that it looks like limestone. Did Indians not use limestone? It probably is limestone. Almost all the rocks around here are limestone.

I will say, everyone who picks it up is amazed at how the hand molds into it, even those who laugh at first at the prospect (since it looks like an ugly rock). And the flat side which appears grounded/worn down compared to the rest of the rock is at the absolute exact perfect angle for use in comparison to the handhold. I consider myself a skeptic, but am really amazed at the odds of this. It is so perfect that I will keep it to use as a fun tool for pounding or smashing/hammering.

Can you tell me what are the give-aways that it is just a weird piece of limestone?

Thanks very much!

Sep 18, 2011
Limestone was probably too soft. Chert, quartz and granite were often the stones of choice. Sure-i am sure limestone could have been used for some tool, but this is clearly nature made and not man made.....

OP
OP
O

OldScout

Jun 19, 2014
Detector(s) used
Magnifying glass
Primary Interest:
Other
Clearly nature made?

Are you seriously going to make me take a picture of the stones back side to show you the sticker that says, "made by genuine Indian tribe"?

;) Thanks again.

NC field hunter

Silver Member
Jul 29, 2012
Limestone was probably too soft. Chert, quartz and granite were often the stones of choice. Sure-i am sure limestone could have been used for some tool, but this is clearly nature made and not man made.....
Your closing question is the one that never ever ever gets an answer. I've asked that question so many times. I guess to describe mother nature's work is a hard one for any man.

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I own a point made from limestone it is rare to find one and it isn't the best looking point/ knife but it is one. Most limestone is soft but I guess they did find some worth working once in a while.

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Many types of chert are just limestone replaced by silica...so you can find it in lots of states of replacement... More or less silicafied
If it flaked at all with a concodial fracture..it had to have some amount of silica.
I've found a lot of tools made from very low grade chert down here.
The one in the start of this thread however is only a natural stone.

monsterrack

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2013
Southwest Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett, and Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have to agree with everyone else on this one and has gator said there are different grades of stone of all types and limestone is one of them. Some limestone is not real soft has others.

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rock, can you post your limestone Point? Nothing personal, but I have my doubts it's a Point if it's actually limestone. To soft of a material,

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Limestone + silica
I want to see it too rock

ForumRunner_20141026_210743.png

ForumRunner_20141026_210845.png

ForumRunner_20141026_211114.png

ForumRunner_20141026_211436.png

ForumRunner_20141026_211546.png

ForumRunner_20141026_211716.png

Last edited:

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rock, can you post your limestone Point? Nothing personal, but I have my doubts it's a Point if it's actually limestone. To soft of a material,

Yeah it feels like limestone. Hopefully the pics come out good might have to take it in day light. In the frame its in the bottom right 2nd from the end

Attachments

• SDC11525.JPG
    SDC11525.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 67
  • SDC11550.JPG
    SDC11550.JPG
    655.5 KB · Views: 88
  • SDC11551.JPG
    SDC11551.JPG
    686.6 KB · Views: 88

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread