Indian Trade Beads

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I have a small collection of glass trade beads.
beads8.jpg
beads9.jpg
I'm no means an expert, and I've forgotten stuff I learned a few years ago. First, most trade beads you see for sale today came from Africa. They are exactly the same beads that were being traded in north America at the same time. There is one bead that was traded only in the Pacific North West, and that is the cobalt blue Russian Facet. Otherwise a person only knows if the bead was traded in north America if it's found in this country like any other artifacts. The story on trade beads is fascinating, but I'm not longed winded enough to get into that this evening. The first beads are called Russian Facets, and they were traded extensively in the Pacific Northwest. I've seen some really large Russian facets that were found in the area around Pyramid Lake in Nevada.
beads5.jpg
Next, the one on the left of the dime is called a Lewis and Clark. Supposedly that is a style of bead traded on the expedition. I don't know the truth of that, but I read in their journals that they ran out of blue beads, and the Natives on the coast wanted blue beads, and would hardly trade for anything else. The other redish bead was traded to the Qunault Nation on the coast of Washington state, by the Hudson Bay Company.
beads14.jpg
The next beads are called "white hearts. These beads range in size from tiny seed beads to quite large. If you find one of these beads that has a pink heart, that supposedly means the gold in the red portion is migrating into the white area, and that takes several hundred years.
beads.jpg
beads1.jpg
Note the little tiny white heart seed bead.
beads7.jpg
Above these beads are a couple of white hearts that were found in Northern California. They were recovered on top of the ground, off a mound of dirt that a ground squirrel had dug up.
beads3.jpg
The above bead is called a "Manhattan," as supposedly $21 of this type of bead purchased Manhattan for the Dutch. This bead is a crude knock off of the Chevron bead, which is pictured below.
beads4.jpg
The Chevron bead comes in many sizes, all the way from small to huge. Many of these beads are being made today, so before you pay big money for a bead, be sure it's not a modern knockoff.
beads6.jpg
This brick red bead has a green heart, as I think it's called a "cornealian." My spell checker says that's spelled wrong, and I have no idea how to spell it -- anyhow these beads were also found in northern California.
beads10.jpg
Above, I think the one on the left is called a "skunk" bead. Next is a Russian Facet, then the two light blue faceted beads are NOT Russian. Those particular beads probably come from Africa, as does the French Ambassador bead to the left, and the Lewis and Clark, pictured below.
beads13.jpg
And finally, the last picture, there are a couple of Manhattans, a chevron, and the last kind of red floral bead looks just like tribal beads I saw in Fernley, Nevada.
beads11.jpg

Upvote 0

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Holy Cow! You have a very nice collection and know what you have. Trade beads of that type are scarce in my area. I had heard though that many of the same beads were used in Africa and S. America. Thanks for a fascinating read and education! Great Post!

monsterrack

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2013
Southwest Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett, and Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice string of trade beads, of all the artifact types, trade beads are my favorite. Thanks for showing yours and here are a few I found at a old French trade site. beads from French camp site 001.JPG Found in S.W. Ms. just off of the Ms. river.

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice I am still looking for one. My friend found a red one this year dont know the type though.

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
mighty fine post, i can give you a little more specifics on what i know about Lewis and Clark blue beads...the Chinook preferred not just the blue beads but for some reason the sky blue beads. no one knows for sure what they looked like exactly but I have found four of these long ago in the area associated with L and C...the interesting part is that these exact beads have been excavated from the site of fort Clatsop, where they wintered in 1804/6. Notice how the hole on one side is bigger than on the other side, this indicates that these beads were made by a very specific process and all of this type should have this characteristic.

Attachments

• DSC01458.JPG
    DSC01458.JPG
    27.6 KB · Views: 67

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Very nice beads. When I was a young fellow, I used to collect points and beads from a local creek. I have not ben there is 30 years, but would suspect that there are still beads in that creek.

I might have to slip out that way and check it out...

IAMZIM

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2011
Butte City, Montana
Detector(s) used
ace 250/garret pinpointer, garret AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! Awesome! You just helped me identify a bead I found! Thanks!!!

southfork

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2014
California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a collection of personal finds most came off a village site on my property .

Attachments

• IMG_4800.JPG
    IMG_4800.JPG
    85.8 KB · Views: 96

BagLady

Bronze Member
Mar 13, 2015
Mississippi
Detector(s) used
cheap
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've never found any either. You guys must have found them all! :notworthy:

Digzit2

Jan 2, 2016
Illinois
Detector(s) used
Teknetics t2 se,Deteknix X pointer angus mackirk explorer,keene a51a.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good info.I never knew that much about beads til I read the post.Thanks.

OP
OP
BosnMate

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I have a collection of personal finds most came off a village site on my property .

Great collection, do you suppose you could take some closeup pictures?

southfork

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2014
California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great collection, do you suppose you could take some closeup pictures?
Sure I just need to find some files . Here's a couple I'll look at my files and see if I can find some close ups .

Attachments

• Large Trade Beads 004.JPG
    Large Trade Beads 004.JPG
    68.1 KB · Views: 89
  • Glass Trade Beads 002.JPG
    Glass Trade Beads 002.JPG
    94.7 KB · Views: 87
  • Glass Trade Beads 005.JPG
    Glass Trade Beads 005.JPG
    81.5 KB · Views: 80
OP
OP
BosnMate

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Sure I just need to find some files . Here's a couple I'll look at my files and see if I can find some close ups .

You have some really nice beads. I'm going to do another post with some more of my beads. I have a some of the red and white beads also, so I'll do a little more on them.
beads33.jpg
These were found in the California Sierra Nevada mountains back it the late 20,s early 30's when my Uncle was working for PG&E, surveying the dams they built in the high country back in those days. I don't know for sure where they were found, just that is was northern, and they were camped where he found most of them.

dogteam

Jul 31, 2012
Edmonton, AB
Detector(s) used
Eurotek Pro, 8" coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice collections, BosnMate & southfork! I've been collecting trade beads for many years, but never "found" any! Seems like Northern Cali around Sacramento is a hot spot for white and red beads, and russian blues. One of these days i sure would like to find a spot around there for a hunt! I have some "from" there, but finding is better...;)
I treasure most the big Blue Russians that I collected on Vancouver Island, they're so beautiful....

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your post on the sky blue beads is highly interesting unclemac. Sure makes you wonder if you may have something that is directly connected to one of our countries most greatest historical events. ??

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread