Silver Member
Feb 27, 2005
MAINE
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My stepfather told me the story that back when he was in highschool (Agawam , Mass .late 40's), the school received a shipment of army surplus Indian motorcycles . They were all in the original crates . The school got them for the crate wood , which was mahogany , to be used in wood shop class . The motorcycles were then taken to the Agawam town dump and buried . He said they were all wrapped in that paraffin cloth the military used to keep things from rusting .
This story has always haunted me !

mojjax

Cannonman17

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2006
Wisconsin
WOW!! What's the state of the dump now? Still being used? I hope it's not in use and in a secluded wooded area!! Get digg'n! If it was where a person could go dig your dad could maybe narrow the search area down to a small area?

R

Radzyn

If you want help digging, let me know. I'll be up there in an instant :p

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
You find that dump site and I would hire a bulldozer. Do you know how much those would be worth? Cool Story !

Goldminer

Apr 28, 2006
Las Vegas, Nv
Here's another one. Don't know the date, but that is not important. A train on it's way to California from Mich. wrecked in the Nevada desert just a few miles from the Ca., Nv. border, on Ivanpah dry lake. The freight was buried on site because there was no way to retrieve it. The freight? 1930's Model T Fords.

P

phxAZ

I don't get it... they could retreive the train cars/locamotive but not the model T's?

mr.theman

Aug 29, 2006
McAlester, OK
phxAZ said:
I don't get it... they could retreive the train cars/locamotive but not the model T's?

I agree. They would have to use heavy equipment to dig holes big enough to bury model T's and if they could get equipment in there for that they should be able to retrieve the cars. Now if they were damaged badly I could see them being buried instead of salvaged.

galaxy51

Sep 19, 2006
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE and XS, White's MXT and Classic ID
The 1930's Fords were model A until 1932 when they became model B. The last T was 28 or maybe 29. The railroads have and I believe still do routinely bury new cars being transported by rail when in a train wreck. The reasoning has to do with lawyers. Should anyone be hurt in a car accident in a car that was salvaged from a trainwreck.......Lawyer Bait
First they run over them with a D8 Cat to flatten them to make burial easier.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread