Indiana gold/diamonds

krdigger

Jan 30, 2005
Anyone do any prospecting in Indiana? I have found some color but nothing big yet. I am curious if anyone has had any luck with diamonds. I've found quite a few small rubies and garnets. One small possible diamond which was cloudy but I lost it. Any idea where I can get detailed county maps? Those on the Indiana D.O.T. site are poor quality and no detail.

Upvote 0
F

Fighter59

This is my first post here, but I've just started thinking about panning for gold. I live in NE Indiana so it isn't as prevalent as the southern, but from what I've read, it could be in any glacial meltway. I know of a creek with black sand, so I'm going to go check it out this summer.

Sorry I'm not of any help. Where'd you find your gems? (part of the state) How'd you locate them?

Good Luck!!

OP
OP
K

krdigger

Jan 30, 2005
Brown , Morgan, Jackson and possibly Clark counties have at least trace amounts of gold. Small rubies and garnets can be found in most southern Indiana streams. Iam not sure about Northern Indiana streams.Read an article describing a Large Diamond deposit in Canada. It would make sense if they were transported here by the glaciers.

P

prospector49

prospecting goes on in Indiana all the time. I am a member of the Southern Indiana GPAA chapter gold club and we pan, sluice and dredge in Indiana. Gatesville, Indiana is a decent place to start. You will find gold every time you look. It's not big stuff, just placer gold, but it's all over the place. Our club web site is www.geocities.com/southernindianagpaa/ if you would like to check it out. Anyone is welcome to stop in. There is no charge and if you join the club there are no fee's. Just a group of people having a good time.

Siegfried Schlagrule

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Indiana
Detector(s) used
All types of BFOs owned. Especially want White's Arrow; White's Oremaster; Exanimo Spartan Little Monster; Garrett contract Little Monster.
buy a copy of the DeLorme indiana county maps atlas. Costs about $20. Readily available off ebay. exanimo, ss

B1u3Dr4g0n1

Banned
Mar 14, 2010
Earth
Detector(s) used
Garrett ace 250 with Sniper & DD coil with a Sun Ray Probe ,BountyHunter 101/BountyHunter pinpointer Dredge/highbanker combo, Mini Trommel, Blue Bowl and other stuff I dont use very often..lol
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
krdigger said:
Brown , Morgan, Jackson and possibly Clark counties have at least trace amounts of gold. Small rubies and garnets can be found in most southern Indiana streams. Iam not sure about Northern Indiana streams.Read an article describing a Large Diamond deposit in Canada. It would make sense if they were transported here by the glaciers.

In NW indiana in the bigger creeks that flood good everyyear has gold from the glacier.....If you can get down to bed rock you will find some fast...but the bed rock is around 10 to 15 foot and thats on the creek bed....so it takes a little work...lol

B1u3Dr4g0n1

Banned
Mar 14, 2010
Earth
Detector(s) used
Garrett ace 250 with Sniper & DD coil with a Sun Ray Probe ,BountyHunter 101/BountyHunter pinpointer Dredge/highbanker combo, Mini Trommel, Blue Bowl and other stuff I dont use very often..lol
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are maps that shows the different ice overs Indiana went through. I have one as a 6'x6' map hanging on my treasure room wall. :headbang: :headbang:

B1u3Dr4g0n1

Banned
Mar 14, 2010
Earth
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is a map on the internet that shows where all the dimonds so far have been found in Indiana, its close to where the most gold has been found ... :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

B1u3Dr4g0n1

Banned
Mar 14, 2010
Earth
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If anyone knows of any place they can go with in driving distance to NW Indiana and wants to go but doesnt have the equipment, I have a highbanker/dredge combo I can set up if there is a water source or I have a self contained highbanker if we have to pack in water and a blue bowl for clean up.....we can both work the area and split what we find....I do need proof of ok to prospect from land owner or other wise of the area.....let me know...THANKS

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread