Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Buddy, two things:

1) The "1816" rule you're wondering about would only apply to state land there anyhow, not the city level parks. You're confusing the state land "artifact" citation above, with city land/laws. No need to worry about the dating of items unless you're detecting state land.

2) That's a risky proposition to ask a bureaucrat. Glad you got a "yes" at Clarksville. It could've gone the other way, and they could've said "no, just because we said so". Better to look it up yourself (park rules usually on a sign at entrances, or on-line, etc...). If it's silent on the issue, then go.

I've heard of other locations where people felt the need to ask "can I metal detect?" only to be told "no", when some clerk morphed something like "don't disturb the vegetation" or "call PG&E before digging", and just give the easy answer of "no". In one case, an entire state park's system got put off-limits, that had never before had anything in rules addressing the issue. The reason given for the new rules clarification? "....Due to numerous inquires ...." Doh! Apparently beforehand, md'rs were ignored. But if enough people ask (as if something was wrong), a rule apparently might be written, to "address this pressing issue" :o

melw2

Feb 18, 2009
To pdsniper,
I got kicked out of a public high school today in Indianapolis by a police officer who told me I was not allowed to metal detect at schools. I also met someone else detecting who got kicked out of Broad Ripple park (county park) by a park ranger. I have had no problems there. I too am finding it hard to find a place to hunt. Frustrating. I too want to know the real rules and what to do about them.

Melanie
Indianapolis, IN

Mortifercain

Aug 11, 2011
indiana
im not evan from here and i can confidently say thats just a hoosier thing "one to many rickers pops"they keep things very vague and for a reason. I shall handle my MD as I handle all the other out dated and vauge verbage they use in there laws. know when to hold up, know when to fold up, you guys know the rest lol. try to remain polite and walk away when needed. blend in to the laws just look at them like a deer in the headlights scratch your bum a little maybe pick your nose and say i had no clue then take a huge chug off that Rickers pop and offer the officer a swig!! then complain about the skeeters being hell this year and kindly walk away >=) hope this helps

sollyman

May 26, 2012
aurora, indiana
Detector(s) used
have used garrett at pro,mine lab quattro and 705,tesero tiger shark,currently ace 350.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i live in southern indiana and detect on alot of private land but have recently have been on our local city and county properties.i went to the courthouse asked about info and local mayors offices i was able to meet alot of nice people .around where i live it is small town living and people know each other ,i was able to go to local hisorical library and get all kinds of info on old places to go .i also have got alot of acess to adjoing private properties by people coming up and asking about hobby and family history.you can put in alot of time to reaserch ask alot of people questions and not be afraid of rejection sometimes,you too can have good luck as i have.HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions