Indians, buffalo, and gold.......

Randyg12

Aug 6, 2014
Northridge, Ca
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, CTX 3030, and E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IMG_0118.JPG Hit a lot in an old area that is loaded with iron a couple of weeks ago. I knew it was going to be a good day when my first 4 targets were; wheat penny, trash, indian head and a gold ring. The 14kt gold ring was a real surprise. Ended up with 3 indians and a buffalo. I've been back a few times trying for a silver with no luck so far. No more indians, but added some wheats and buttons (not in picture).

Used CTX 3030 with 6" coil in relic mode. I was digging everything that didn't grunt iron. All three indians were iffy numbers but the tone was good and repeatable. 12-38 kept coming in and out. I didn't even look at the numbers when I got the ring. Thought it was going to be trash. I even broke out my F-75 with the 5" coil a few days later trying for a silver but every iffy deeper target was nails.

Upvote 5

46Wheat

Silver Member
May 23, 2014
Upstate NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac / Equinox 800 / 8.5x11 DD and 5x8 DD coil /
Garrett ProPointer / Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nice recoveries

OP
OP
Randyg12

Randyg12

Aug 6, 2014
Northridge, Ca
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the replies guys! Feels good to be getting back out there and detecting! Its been awhile since I passed over some silver so I'm due!

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Super finds! Congrats! You and the CTX work well together!

testing123

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2009
United States
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, TDI SL
I've always used the stock coil on the CTX. How much of an improvement is the 6" coil in iron-infested areas?

OP
OP
Randyg12

Randyg12

Aug 6, 2014
Northridge, Ca
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It really does help. It took me a long time to use the smaller coils more often. You have to be patient and force yourself to work an area with a small coil. In the beginning I'd try the 5" coil with my Explorers and I hated using it. Took me forever to cover ground. I just knew I was passing up deeper targets that were probably just out of the range of my small coil and I would do ok with it but nothing like the finds I would find with the stock coil.

Then the E-Trac came out and it opened up my pounded spots again. Then they went dry again so I decided to use a 6" coil that had been gathering dust. I left my stock coil home and went to one of my spots that had produced but is loaded with trash and iron. I stayed most of the day there and came home with a nice collection of silver and wheats. Every good target came in at about 4 to 6 inches. The numbers were ugly but the tones I listen for were there and they were repeatable. Once I knew the 6" would produce well for me I started using it more and more.

I have to use my 5" or 6" coil like a paint brush and I have to move slowly through the trash with my coil on the ground. When I say slow I mean step swing, step swing and I kind of double swing each area (guess I mean overlap). Its a slow process but when I started using this technique the non-ferrous targets just started jumping out of the ground and if your in an old spot that you know has keepers you'll go home with some in your pouch. The CTX with the 6" coil is a killer combo but you have to have the inner desirer to gut it out for a few hours and not get discouraged if you get skunked.

When I hit a new spot in an old area like an empty lot I start big and work my way down to the 6" coil. Hope this helps! HH Randy

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread