Industrial Electrician here, locating conduit and wire?

Dismas Eleos

Jul 3, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello everyone,

I'm trying to find some information on metal detectors for use in my field of work. I've been doing research on detectors for the use of locating metal conduit, or copper wire in PVC conduit. I don't expect a detector to locate something 6 feet down. But, at the very least, used during a dig to scan 8-16 inches at a time between excavator bucket swipes, or even locating where wire stops inside a run of PVC. I've come to the conclusion of something like a Bounty Hunter Time Ranger. I'm personally buying it, so I'd prefer to spend under $200 if I know it will do what I'm asking it to.

Am I being unrealistic expecting a metal detector to see such larger pieces of metal under more of a distance underground? As with anything else, I'd assume brands of detectors are more of a personal preference and not an actual "one better than another." But I'd be open minded to suggestions on detectors that would be beter suited for deeper, larger scans than the smaller coin sized searching closer to the surface.

Thanks for your time.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
The type utility workers use might be worth a trial before buying one.

A friend wanted help with a buried wire a while back.
At about 11 inches my detector did not locate it until I had dug enough to be 2 or three inches away. ( More than a two hundred dollar detector with an experienced operator).
Multiple factors determine detectability....

While an admirer of detectors,working with a bucket operator while swinging mine would result in a run getting scooped up ,maybe sooner than later.

When locating wires in range for device and conditions....tracing the run a distance is expected...in order to confirm it is a run and not a piece of something else.
Then...being sure the same signal is being traced ,and not multiple targets seeming like a run are involved comes next.
Meanwhile the bucket operator is waiting......

If EMI is present ,for example an overhead power line or one near ; or even the run you are after if " hot"/ energised...that could be quite a problem.

Last edited:

ChampFerguson/TN

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2013
TN
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari .......... Minelab Excalibur II ....... ........Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The prices that ive seen on detectors that are marketed for 'utility' use are extremely overpriced for what they are. You can get a lot better detector for much less money in the hobby market. Also we are talking a lot more than 200 for a 'utility' detector as the idea seems to be that since a company is paying for it, they can price it insanely.

If this is a one time use, I'd recommend borrowing or renting one, or even offering a detectorist 100 to do what you need done on the job. But if youre thinking of using it or giving it to a relative as a gift afterwards, I'd say get a Garrett ACE series or a Garrett AT Pro. imo the ATP is the best value for the money.

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hobby Detectors are not designed for deep seeking detection. They make special gear for this application and it usually involves charging the line you are looking for to give off a signal to the detector as well as the detector seeking it.
I have been a licensed electrician for 32 years. I personally would not rely on a 200 dollar hobby machine to trace a potentially deadly line. People die enough hitting underground services. It is no joke.
Personally I do not take any risk with the liability associated with under ground services. I call dig alert hotlines and they come out and mark the underground services for free. It is a public service to keep people from killing themselves hitting the wrong things in the dirt. In most places it is mandatory to call these services. It is a law. My 2 cents

ChampFerguson/TN

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2013
TN
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari .......... Minelab Excalibur II ....... ........Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Dowsing: works for everyone every time </sarcasm>but no one has proven it despite challenge after challenge. And I don't mean granny finding water in a low spot, I mean a controlled study.

A prof showed us how to manipulate 'dowsing rods' to fool the rubes many years ago. I have conned many a sucker since (always showing them what I did after we had our laughs).

And please, don't give me anecdotal nonevidence (tho I know it will get posted with ironclad assurances that its every bit as good as if god himself wrote it on stone <or gold if youre Mormon>tablets); doing so just proves you don't know how Science works.

BARLEY

May 20, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What's the best place to study to be an electrician?

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
Champ. Go out in your front yard where you know some where the water line runs from the street to your house. Once you located the line using dowsing rods, dig until you come to the water line. Having a backhoe will greatly help complete that last task.
I used to install water and sewer services to homes. I wouldn't believe it myself if I hadn't actually done it myself.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Champ. Go out in your front yard where you know some where the water line runs from the street to your house. Once you located the line using dowsing rods, dig until you come to the water line. Having a backhoe will greatly help complete that last task.
I used to install water and sewer services to homes. I wouldn't believe it myself if I hadn't actually done it myself.

Done it myself hundreds of times when working telcom.

KolinFous

May 20, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When choosing a place of study, it is necessary to approach the question correctly. For example, I am not an electrician myself, but my friend is now studying to become an electrician; before choosing a profession, he got a lot of information about it. But one site was not enough for him, and he asked everyone about the profession of an electrician and the prospects. But the best knowledge about this profession is, of course, professional electricians who have already worked in this field for more than 10 years. And he asked questions on various forums; after receiving all the information, he conducted an analysis and realized that this is his profession.

Last edited:

prospexican

Nov 28, 2013
Nevada
Detector(s) used
Gemini-3 best expert.
gpx 5000, fisher 2 box, whites sierra madre, eagle ll w big foot, gold bug, GMT, MD-5008, Detectron 2 box. etc. metrotech 480, and ferromagnetic magnetometer FX-3. fisher CZ-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello everyone,

I'm trying to find some information on metal detectors for use in my field of work. I've been doing research on detectors for the use of locating metal conduit, or copper wire in PVC conduit. I don't expect a detector to locate something 6 feet down. But, at the very least, used during a dig to scan 8-16 inches at a time between excavator bucket swipes, or even locating where wire stops inside a run of PVC. I've come to the conclusion of something like a Bounty Hunter Time Ranger. I'm personally buying it, so I'd prefer to spend under $200 if I know it will do what I'm asking it to.

Am I being unrealistic expecting a metal detector to see such larger pieces of metal under more of a distance underground? As with anything else, I'd assume brands of detectors are more of a personal preference and not an actual "one better than another." But I'd be open minded to suggestions on detectors that would be beter suited for deeper, larger scans than the smaller coin sized searching closer to the surface.

Thanks for your time.
hi, if they are live electric wires the 2 box detector called metrotech 480 might pick it up just w the recetpor box.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The thread is 4 years....

prospexican

Nov 28, 2013
Nevada
Detector(s) used
Gemini-3 best expert.
gpx 5000, fisher 2 box, whites sierra madre, eagle ll w big foot, gold bug, GMT, MD-5008, Detectron 2 box. etc. metrotech 480, and ferromagnetic magnetometer FX-3. fisher CZ-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello everyone,

Thanks for your time.
believe it or not i did locate power cooper lines w a gemini-3 but i would recommend the metrotech 480 because that one actually sense the power going thru lines and will not pick up any other metals that i know but u need to use just the receptor box, not transmisor box at all

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread