inexpensive 9v batteries

ctbob

Mar 19, 2012
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have two fisher machines that use 9 volt batteries, and although I have some rechargables, I still go though alot of regular batteries. I have been getting 2 packs of panasonic 9volts for one dollar at Ocean State Odd lots, and I see no noticeable difference from any of the other standard brands I've tried. I'm not good at keeping track of the hours I get out of a set, but it seems when I think they should crap out, I still get a few more trips in before replacing. And starting today, they are on sale for 70 cents a two pack for the coming week.
Unfortunately this is a Northeast based chain, and I don't think it sells on the internet, but hope this will help some.

woof!

Bronze Member
Dec 12, 2010
ciudadano del universo, residente de El Paso TX
Detector(s) used
BS detector
Primary Interest:
Other
Most metal detectors designed in the last 20 years were designed specifically for alkalines. With the cheaper zinc-carbon or so-called "heavy duty" batteries they may either give very short battery life or may not work properly at all. Most designs prior to the early 1990's were designed to be compatible with zinc-carbons.

If you've got a recent design metal detector and it's working fine with non-alkaline cheapies, and you're happy with the battery life, may as well keep using them.

--Dave J.

--Dave J.

CaptEsteban

Bronze Member
Jul 26, 2011
I use to use Panasonic alkaline, 9 volts, that were sold at a Dollar General store . They cost 1/2 the price of name brands & lasted just as long. Now, DG has their own name on the batteries & I am not sure who made them.

Burldrives

Sep 26, 2011
St Petersburg Fl
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur ll
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
try cheapbatteries.com havn't used them lately but a few years ago they were great

Burl

b7seas

Aug 12, 2012
Northern Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Fisher F-2 w/3 coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I checked with Fisher, on rechargables when I got my F-2. They said "under no circumstances should anything but alkaline batteries be used". They also stated that using rechargables could void the warrantee. When I was looking into rechargeables, I did notice that alkalines had a higher voltage output than comparable rechargables.

Bob

woof!

Bronze Member
Dec 12, 2010
ciudadano del universo, residente de El Paso TX
Detector(s) used
BS detector
Primary Interest:
Other
Bob, the folks in customer service dept. aren't engineers. If they were, I'd snag 'em for my department, in fact got myself a good engineer that way once. Customer service people answer questions as best they can based on things like data sheets and user's manuals, and on things they've heard other people who've been on the job longer say. Sometimes they get it wrong.

I'm the Chief Engineer at Fisher-Teknetics-Bounty Hunter. The information I posted several posts up is good information.

I usually recommend against 9 volt rechargeables because most give very poor battery life and some are poor fits to the battery compartment. However nearly all will "work" and using them won't void the warranty.

--Dave J.

b7seas

Aug 12, 2012
Northern Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Fisher F-2 w/3 coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dave, Thanks for the feedback. It's always nice to get good info directly from the "horse">(g) I did a lot of looking around on a lot of different topics before I bought my F-2. Most of the manufacturers seemed to be anti rechargeables. That said, logic dictates that they wouldn't make rechargeables if they didn't work. In fact, I did run into a couple of models
where there was a rechareable system as an option.

Thanks again,

Bob

OP
OP
C

ctbob

Mar 19, 2012
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Woof!, before I read your post, I didn't know much about batteries, and assumed everything I was buying was alkaline. Thank you for your reply.
When I first went to stores, and saw 9v alkaline batterries priced from 2 to 4 dollars a piece, I started looking for deals, and I think I've been using carbons ever since. I've used rechargables in my f2, but like you said, they were really hard to fit in the machine, so they have been going in my cz21. I think most alkalines would have to last about 4 times longer or more to be as economical as my panasonics, but now i'll be looking more for sales on the alkalines. With the alkalines you're less likely to worry about dead batteries on the hunt, or breaking taps on battery cover with increased battery changes. once again, thanks.

Joe(TX)

Aug 21, 2008
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Old School
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I would be very careful about using really cheap batteries....they can and do leak....trust brands that you know.....I would be careful about buying any batteries made in China!!....Joe

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread