Infinium vs. tiger shark vs. sand shark

underarock

Mar 27, 2011
Southeast PA
Detector(s) used
CZ-70
Primary Interest:
Other
Looking to get opinions on these detectors.
I'm looking for an all around general purpose metal detector that can be submerged but also works well on land. Also one that has discrimination. Will be using on land, fresh, and salt water. I don't want to spend more than 800.
I'm also considering fisher underwater models but just don't know enough about them.
I need to get in the water… you know what I mean. please help! :help:

Upvote 0

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Terry Soloman said:
lookindown said:
Terry Soloman said:
Where did your sarcastic post abut the ATpro go? I had a good reply for you. :dontknow:

Hi LD. Yes, I admit it, I blurted out. :'( I had the good sense to remove the comment myself, because in the end, it is the detectorist, NOT the machine. Here is what I mean. You can put a Minelab GPX5000 ($5,500) in the hands of a complete newb, and give me a Garrett Ace 250 ($200), and the odds say I will find more. ::) We all talk a lot of crap about our favorite machines, but the fact remains, :read2: they are OUR favorites. It takes a lot of time on the headphones to learn this hobby, and the langauge of a particular machine. Just because you speak fluent Tesoro Compadre, does not mean you can speak Whites MDX. :icon_scratch: Oh sure, you may pick up bits and pieces of the conversation in your headphones, but you won't understand the subtle, "between the lines" meanings until you have been in the conversation for a few months - years. I'm quite sure the AT Pro is a fantastic metal detector for a multitude of reasons, and I thank goodness I had enough sense - finally - to get that every machine has its pros and cons, and that being successful in this hobby depends much less on the machine, and much more on an individual's willingness to learn and put in the hours. :headbang: I think my days of blurting out smart-allec comments has finally ended. When somebody starts telling me about all their experience and how good their machine is, the first thing I look at is their hands. The people that are REALLY finding the good stuff on a regular basis have the blisters and calloused hands to go with those finds. If they have "jewelry store" hands, I just nod politely and walk away. :thumbsup:
Well said. I believe that the machine people like is the one they have. If your coil goes over it your going to find it. Thanks for the reply.

Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
A Propointer tied to a stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
underarock said:
Thanks everyone for your input all was considered but in the end I went with the AT Pro. I feel like they made the pro mode specifically for me I just don't know how to explain it. Maybe its like that for everyone. I've read some really bad reviews but luckily i'm having none of the problems that was plaguing them in their early production models. As far as the display i'm learning to love it… slowly.
I do absolutely despise the headphone situation they put you in right away.
1.) They cannot be used in water. 2.) They're Giant. 3.) You can only use Garrett brand headphones or buy an adapter from them or make your own headphones by splicing wires. Kinda silly.
I would have paid $100 more for a smaller waterproof headphone from them.
anyway love it so far haven't gotten her wet yet but foreplay first. :love8:
thanks for all the replies

That always gets to me. If you want to use the At Pro in the water, you have the buy the waterproof headphones that do not come with the unit.

The problem with some Garrett units, like the Infinium, is that everything is a la carte, so to set up your Infinium for salt water hunting, you need to buy a different coil and a different set of headphones. Ugh! :P

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It makes it cheaper for the people that aren't using the detector in the water.

Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
A Propointer tied to a stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
lookindown said:

You're right about that.

I just wish they would sell with two different configurations: one for land hunters and one for water since their needs are so different.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Smudge said:
lookindown said:

You're right about that.

I just wish they would sell with two different configurations: one for land hunters and one for water since their needs are so different.
Yeah, I never thought about having the option to buy one rigged either way. That makes the most sense.

detectahead

Silver Member
Dec 1, 2007
Western, N.C.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Bandido UMax II, Fisher F5, Tiger Shark, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Terry Soloman said:
lookindown said:
Terry Soloman said:
Where did your sarcastic post abut the ATpro go? I had a good reply for you. :dontknow:

Hi LD. Yes, I admit it, I blurted out. :'( I had the good sense to remove the comment myself, because in the end, it is the detectorist, NOT the machine. Here is what I mean. You can put a Minelab GPX5000 ($5,500) in the hands of a complete newb, and give me a Garrett Ace 250 ($200), and the odds say I will find more. ::) We all talk a lot of crap about our favorite machines, but the fact remains, :read2: they are OUR favorites. It takes a lot of time on the headphones to learn this hobby, and the langauge of a particular machine. Just because you speak fluent Tesoro Compadre, does not mean you can speak Whites MDX. :icon_scratch: Oh sure, you may pick up bits and pieces of the conversation in your headphones, but you won't understand the subtle, "between the lines" meanings until you have been in the conversation for a few months - years. I'm quite sure the AT Pro is a fantastic metal detector for a multitude of reasons, and I thank goodness I had enough sense - finally - to get that every machine has its pros and cons, and that being successful in this hobby depends much less on the machine, and much more on an individual's willingness to learn and put in the hours. :headbang: I think my days of blurting out smart-allec comments has finally ended. When somebody starts telling me about all their experience and how good their machine is, the first thing I look at is their hands. The people that are REALLY finding the good stuff on a regular basis have the blisters and calloused hands to go with those finds. If they have "jewelry store" hands, I just nod politely and walk away. :thumbsup:
You hit the nail on the head with every word there!

OP
OP
underarock

underarock

Mar 27, 2011
Southeast PA
Detector(s) used
CZ-70
Primary Interest:
Other
detectahead said:
Terry Soloman said:
lookindown said:
Terry Soloman said:

You hit the nail on the head with every word there!

It's not the paintbrush its the painter. Research and location are whats important. The tools I use will break but this belief will not. Second most important is how quickly you can decide, dig and recover "good" targets. Is there anything else to really talk about? I got the at pro for 400 bucks. It's not my first choice. For now though I think its the best choice for that price range and my needs. I like to play in the rain and water so i needed something I felt comfortable getting wet. Also something that just wasn't a bad machine overall. This forum has given me a new idea for a topic actually. Curious about what people think about some things.

GOLD1960

May 10, 2006
BURNSVILLE,MN
:icon_thumright:

Attachments

19.4 KB · Views: 428

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread