Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2008
Never Know I May Live Next To You!
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500/Bounty Hunter
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wanted to share my knowledge on something I had came across. I had went to Nappanee, Indiana for a job using my truck pulling trailers a few months back. Nappanee is a small Amish community and of course there were not really any big banks there. Several times I cashed my check at the One Source Bank, (pretty much the only bank there besides Chase), (which tellers sit at a desk rather than behind a counter), TRUELY UNUSUAL!

Well several times I would cash my check at the bank or the grocery store, (Meyers), and when I would get my check cashed and then the coin change that made the difference of my check I would look at the coins and see that most if not all, pennies, nickles, dimes, and quarters where old. I mean like dated 1928's and up on the pennies, 1950's and up on the dimes, nickles and quarters usually were dated 1950 and up! Occasionally even the cash paper money some of them were older bills, but nothing I got was older than 1993 usually, but most were brand new type bills used today.

This surprised me in such after a few times of cashing my check that I would tell the lady at the store or bank and ask her to give me what was in her change drawer, (which I would get a couple dollars worth from each). I really wanted to pretty much tell them give me all your rolls of coins you have in the safe for my amount in my check, but I couldn't afford it, and I didn't want to ask and be embarassed and didn't know how they would react to it.

Going through the change I would find the much older coins, but found nothing that would be worth much money, yet, but a few silvers and a couple of wheat pennies.

So being I am not working for this company anymore and it will be a while before I get up in that part of the country so I wanted to share this knowledge with those who may be in, or close to those areas as I won't be getting up that way anytime soon.

Being the Amish pretty much run communities, sorta, and communities that have big Amish families there, especially Indiana, many will use and keep the older money in circulation, (especially the coins), for the Amish towns.

So it may pay to get to an Amish community if one is traveling or not living far from one and never know what if any coins of value may be at your fingers!

Upvote 0

TimZim

Bronze Member
Aug 3, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No keep them right where they are. If you go back you can bring all your new clad dumps ask them if they want to switch for some nice new coins.

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
I wanted to share my knowledge on something I had came across. I had went to Nappanee, Indiana for a job using my truck pulling trailers a few months back. Nappanee is a small Amish community and of course there were not really any big banks there. Several times I cashed my check at the One Source Bank, (pretty much the only bank there besides Chase), (which tellers sit at a desk rather than behind a counter), TRUELY UNUSUAL!

Well several times I would cash my check at the bank or the grocery store, (Meyers), and when I would get my check cashed and then the coin change that made the difference of my check I would look at the coins and see that most if not all, pennies, nickles, dimes, and quarters where old. I mean like dated 1928's and up on the pennies, 1950's and up on the dimes, nickles and quarters usually were dated 1950 and up! Occasionally even the cash paper money some of them were older bills, but nothing I got was older than 1993 usually, but most were brand new type bills used today.

This surprised me in such after a few times of cashing my check that I would tell the lady at the store or bank and ask her to give me what was in her change drawer, (which I would get a couple dollars worth from each). I really wanted to pretty much tell them give me all your rolls of coins you have in the safe for my amount in my check, but I couldn't afford it, and I didn't want to ask and be embarassed and didn't know how they would react to it.

Going through the change I would find the much older coins, but found nothing that would be worth much money, yet, but a few silvers and a couple of wheat pennies.

So being I am not working for this company anymore and it will be a while before I get up in that part of the country so I wanted to share this knowledge with those who may be in, or close to those areas as I won't be getting up that way anytime soon.

Being the Amish pretty much run communities, sorta, and communities that have big Amish families there, especially Indiana, many will use and keep the older money in circulation, (especially the coins), for the Amish towns.

So it may pay to get to an Amish community if one is traveling or not living far from one and never know what if any coins of value may be at your fingers!

HarleyMan - Thanks for posting this information. This is what the spirit of TNet is about - the sharing of information and educating others. For the others who commented before, you need to comprehend the information and see how it can apply to your territory. The OP mentioned a specific area, but surely these communities exist throughout the US. NEPA is one of my areas that I tap into and within a short driving distance there is Lancaster to the south and to the north the area across the border in NY (Binghamton). As a hunter, you need to do some research to find the best hunting grounds. Applying the OP's tip with your own regional knowledge just might turn up some untapped sources.

Codes

Bronze Member
Feb 28, 2007
United States
Detector(s) used
White's M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm about 20 miles away from this area. Looks like I'll be headed up there in the near future. I will be sure to post results when I find them and give a big shoutout to you!

OP
OP
TheHarleyMan2

TheHarleyMan2

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2008
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500/Bounty Hunter
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, I am planning on getting back up that way sometime to gold prospect and will stop by a few little town communities and will surely think about bringing some "NEW" rolled coins and see about exchanging them.

I was really surprised when I first got up there and cash my check. Long ago many years about 1985 I lived in Elkhart and worked in Nappanee for Fairmont Industries building double wides. Back then I never even had the thought of old money. I am sure plenty of it ran through my hands. Of course older now and always looking for something of value, and notice all the old coins I was given recently, got me thinking, there was no telling how much old coins went through my hands back in the day!!

There are many small towns somewhat around Nappanee that has big Amish communities so anywhere in the northern region where you have manufacturing plants, I am sure you will find old coins anywhere, to include convienent stores!

usandthem

May 19, 2011
Kentucky
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here where I live we are surounded by the Amish. I have even employed them on occaison. There is little silver to be found in the local banks and the Amish know all about silver coins. I have even seen them in the local coin shop. FWIW.

CoinFetcher

Bronze Member
Apr 29, 2012
Left coast
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Love to treasure hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here where I live we are surounded by the Amish. I have even employed them on occaison. There is little silver to be found in the local banks and the Amish know all about silver coins. I have even seen them in the local coin shop. FWIW.

I would think so too. A whole community built on being self reliant - I think they would know about our debased currency, ect, ect, ect.

lovewiibrew

Mar 18, 2011
Eastern US
usandthem said:

This is my experience as well. Hit an area with a heavy Amish population and they had very little halves and the few I got were not silver.

And Sagitarius, I am considering it but someone else will beat me to the punch probably. Could hit all the banks on the way back though.

jimb

Feb 22, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like a nice place to visit! It also would be a good place to check out the parks and old buildings.

OP
OP
TheHarleyMan2

TheHarleyMan2

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2008
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500/Bounty Hunter
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, the silver may be hard to find, (I've gotten a few), but that doesn't leave for defects in other older coins or special marks on them that could make them valuable!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions