Info from Redding BLM

norcalsteve

Sep 30, 2013
Petaluma, CA
Detector(s) used
36" Bazooka Prospector, Gold-n-Sand hand dredge
I called BLM Redding field office to check out the status of the area that i want to mine on the Trinity River on friday. The woman told me that it should be ok to run my sluice on the creek but that I should check with the owners of the lodge I am staying at which is right on where the Indian Creek runs into the Trinity. The people at the lodge told me it is fine to mine on the creek there.
However, the BLM lady told me NOT to do any mining on the Trinity River that was not private property ( with permission ) since most of the public land along the river has been reclaimed and not open for mining of any kind. She said that they were doing a lot of restoration work.

Upvote 0

mytimetoshine

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
El Dorado County
Detector(s) used
GRIZZLY GOLD TRAP - ANGUS MACKIRK EXPLORER- BLUE BOWL - GOLD CUBE, MINELAB PRO 25 PINPOINTER-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They told you not to "mine" shocker...

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
Just out of curiosity, I'd go to the county registrars office and look at the master platt map for that township. See if it's listed as no mineral entry in that area. If it's not listed there as being closed, then I'd go for it if it's BLM land. You will have done your due diligence. Many times those folks answering the phones don't know squat.

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
BLM employees aren't legally responsible for the information they give to the public. They are often wrong. As in almost always wrong. :BangHead:

The county assessor only has tax status for private lands. Federal managed public land mineral status is found in the Master Title Plat from the General Land Office in Washington D.C.... or Land Matters. :thumbsup:

Master Title Plats (MTP) for California are available for download on the Land Matters California Land Status Map.

I downloaded that MTP and looked over the area myself. You really need to look over the map I linked to above. Much of the area is private and State lands. Both are off limits to prospecting without written permission.

There are scattered BLM managed public lands that intersect the Trinity in some places. Those are covered under Public Land Order No. 7308. If you read the linked PLO you will see that those BLM areas are closed to entry and location only - you can't make a claim there. Prospecting is still allowed as is mineral leasing. There are no areas "reclaimed" or "restored". As usual you got a fancy story with no basis in fact from the BLM.

The private land you will be staying on may be your best opportunity. The land matrix there is very complex. If you are good at reading land documents and orienteering from a map you might want to try some of the few areas of the Trinity River that are still public lands.

Heavy Pans

Last edited:

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Big difference between the river and a creek as all almost bone dry. MANY claims so go for Skunk Point rec area or, NF of EF of trinity has some claims we let go as bud dying of cancer. Past Helena past the EF bridge 2nd right is a paved road 100-200 yards long with a circle around the big oak tree. Many spots on the Sacramento open at Volmers,Dog Creek,McCardle Flats,Pollard Flats ,Sims and on and on. The Clear Creek rec corridor and Swayze drive informatin is posted on this forum and dedge forum.Use the phrase search or go back through pages but maps,rules,regs and all here as I posted many times. I'm not at my home computer or I'd redo as busy---John

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread