Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2013
Long Island, Bahamas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark....Aqua pulse 1B....Equinox ll
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Dear Friends and Family,
Most of you know, some may not, that on 1st October , Long Island was hit by a severe Hurricane. We knew a storm was imminent but had no idea of its strength. For about 18 hours we were battered with winds over 100 miles an hour and driving rain. For a good few hours we had winds of about 150 miles per hour and gusts considerably stronger than that at times. The damage to the island is catastrophic. Many people have lost their complete house and everything they own, many have lost their businesses and many are still so shocked they have no idea what they have lost. Those of you who have experienced a hurricane will know, those of you who haven’t cannot begin to imagine.
Electricity poles and telephone poles for about 50 miles were snapped in two and now litter the roads. Much flooding has occurred dividing the island into several sections. The airport at Deadmans Cay is closed but the airport at Stella Maris, about 60 miles from us is open. Emergency flights have evacuated the elderly and those in need. Boats from Nassau and the USA are on their way with supplies. Helicopters bought in supplies for the first couple of days after the storm and landed wherever they could. It was like a war zone.
Miraculously the Bahamas Telephone Company managed to set up an emergency phone line four days after the storm and now have instigated a WI FI system in Clarence Town, about 10 miles from us, from where I am able to send this message.
We have had a lot of water damage in the house as we lost a lot of shingles as well as two sections of the roof. However, we have water, we have food, we can still use our gas stove and we have a small generator for a few hours of the day to keep the freezer operating, We are very lucky. Both dogs are fine, they spent the storm snuggled together in the shower stall.
Many of you have sent messages which we are unable to answer. You have offered accommodation, money and help. We thank you all so much for all your kindness, thoughts and prayers. We will be staying here as we have neighbours and friends to care for and without us they could not make it.
What you can do for us is keep us on your thoughts which we really appreciate and we will be back in touch again in due course. It will be months before we have electricity restored and internet and phones back to normal. Please therefore do not worry if you don't hear anything " no news is great news" especially for those of you I normally abuse or tease!
Thank you all for your understanding, love, support and friendship.
Much love
Audrey Kevin , Gizmo and Tassle

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1444385777.866307.jpg

Last edited:

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Glad to hear you are ok sads.
:)

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good to hear you're ok...Good luck and remain safe...

TreasureCDave

Jun 5, 2015
Florida Treasure Coast
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Thoughts and prayers to you and your family and friends. I hope you don't have looters or have to guard your generator all night. Yes, you all have a long road ahead and I wish you all the best.

old man

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2003
East Coast
Dear Friends and Family,
Most of you know, some may not, that on 1st October , Long Island was hit by a severe Hurricane. We knew a storm was imminent but had no idea of its strength. For about 18 hours we were battered with winds over 100 miles an hour and driving rain. For a good few hours we had winds of about 150 miles per hour and gusts considerably stronger than that at times. The damage to the island is catastrophic. Many people have lost their complete house and everything they own, many have lost their businesses and many are still so shocked they have no idea what they have lost. Those of you who have experienced a hurricane will know, those of you who haven’t cannot begin to imagine.
Electricity poles and telephone poles for about 50 miles were snapped in two and now litter the roads. Much flooding has occurred dividing the island into several sections. The airport at Deadmans Cay is closed but the airport at Stella Maris, about 60 miles from us is open. Emergency flights have evacuated the elderly and those in need. Boats from Nassau and the USA are on their way with supplies. Helicopters bought in supplies for the first couple of days after the storm and landed wherever they could. It was like a war zone.
Miraculously the Bahamas Telephone Company managed to set up an emergency phone line four days after the storm and now have instigated a WI FI system in Clarence Town, about 10 miles from us, from where I am able to send this message.
We have had a lot of water damage in the house as we lost a lot of shingles as well as two sections of the roof. However, we have water, we have food, we can still use our gas stove and we have a small generator for a few hours of the day to keep the freezer operating, We are very lucky. Both dogs are fine, they spent the storm snuggled together in the shower stall.
Many of you have sent messages which we are unable to answer. You have offered accommodation, money and help. We thank you all so much for all your kindness, thoughts and prayers. We will be staying here as we have neighbours and friends to care for and without us they could not make it.
What you can do for us is keep us on your thoughts which we really appreciate and we will be back in touch again in due course. It will be months before we have electricity restored and internet and phones back to normal. Please therefore do not worry if you don't hear anything " no news is great news" especially for those of you I normally abuse or tease!
Thank you all for your understanding, love, support and friendship.
Much love
Audrey Kevin , Gizmo and Tassle

View attachment 1220851
Kevin, Glad to hear that you and Audrey are safe. Next time you post. Give us the GPS numbers of your house, so that people can see and appreciate the Devastation that you and your neighbors have to deal with.
Stay Safe My Friend and a Special Thank You to BVI John and Darren for keeping us updated on Kevin and his family.

MPH200

Oct 26, 2012
Austin, Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Kevin glad you & your family are safe. You & your community have a long road ahead. My prayers are with you all.
Keep us posted Sir.

thetigers2

Apr 20, 2009
Homosassa,Fl.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign XS & my good old eyes...Oh and my Mischievous Mermaid a helping...
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Our thoughts and prayers are with you and your family,Kevin........

TheRingFinder

Bronze Member
May 22, 2013
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab - E-Trac / Excalibur
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Glad you and yours are safe - God Bless!!! Prayers your way........

Darren in NC

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2004
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark, Homebuilt pulse loop
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Kevin edited the message a bit. Here is the part he left out...

"During the storm Kevin stood for 12 hours solid, holding up a section of shutters that were weakening. He literally held the house together."

Gotta love this guy.

Enginefitter

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2014
NE Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is great news!!!

Darren said it best--"Gotta love this guy".

Engine

GreenHiker

Jul 8, 2010
GA, FL
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ20, Garrett
Well that ole Sads 669 is a smart one!

He remembered that as a kid his mom tied a pork chop around his neck just to get the dogs to play with him.

So, since the local Bahamian ladies hadn't been paying enough loving affection towards him, he filled his bunker with a plethora of survival supplies, let the local beauties know of his preparations, and then have the storm do his work for him! Before the hurricane was over, he was sequestered with 3 women in his home for 18 hours straight! :-)

To get more information on how to help our friends on Long Island in the Bahamas recover and rebuild their lives, please private message BVI Hunter.

BVI Hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 8, 2013
VIRGIN ISLANDS
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
AT Pro
SEA HUNTER 2
Garrett Pro Pointer
Ghost Amphibian Headphones
Vibra Probe 580
Vibra Tector 730
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes PM me for details how to help the old hit and his community

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
praise be to god that yer safe..several of my friends on the El Faro were not as blessed ...

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Chasing Dory ROV,Swellpro Splash 2 pro waterproof drone,Swellpro Spry+ wa,Wesmar SHD700SS Side Scan Sonar,U/W Mac 1 Turbo Aquasound by American Electronics,Fisher 1280x,Aquasound UW md,Aqua pulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sads im glad you are ok.I bet that hurricane uncovered lots of wrecks.Go find some treasure.You can rebuild later.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
remember as we gather our treasure from these shipwrecks --for every treasure wreck out there , there was once a living vessel with human beings as crew ...always say a prayer for them in thanks for their loss , becoming your gain...

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Kevin, my good friend, I am glad that you, your wife and dogs are okay and came through the Hurricance unscathed! I never dreamed that you all would suffer such devastation when I posted quite awhile ago asking "Where do you go during a Hurricane?" due to the flatness of the landscape there! Did the poor little Fiat survive? I envisioned you sitting it inside a boat and letting them both ride out the storm.:icon_scratch: It is great that with all that you all have been through, you all are helping your neighbors and others out in the aftermath of the Hurricane! Take care, be safe and may God bless you, your family, the dogs and all of the folks there!

Frank

Last edited:

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250/GTA 1,000; Fisher Gold Bug-2; Gemini-3; Unique Design L-Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Glad to hear you are ok Keven. That's a lot of wind....growing up I saw the Palm Sunday tornado damage in Elkhart county, IN....probably can't compare but not hard to imagine.

Boatlode

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2014
Florida Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark......
Nokta Pulse dive....
Scubapro Jet Fins...................
Mares Puck dive computer.......
Sherwood Silhouette BCD.......
Poseidon Cyklon 300 regulator...
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Wow Kev - I didn't know you lived on Long Island. You folks definitely got the worst of that storm.

If there's anything I can do from here, let me know. You have my number.

OP
OP
SADS 669

SADS 669

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2013
Long Island, Bahamas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark....Aqua pulse 1B....Equinox ll
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Thanks to all my friends above, an update coming in a few days, things here are improving slowly, phone and electric poles are being laid on the ground next to the hundreds that snapped off so great to see such progress.....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread