Info needed on dredge

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
rwells said:
will a 72 gpm be strong enough for a 2 or 2.5 inch dredge with a suction nozzel. I am trying to put togather a lightweight backpacking rig to get into some remote spots.

Thanks
Rick

That should be ok. I have seen them run with pumps that have a max of only 53 gpm.
Pumps with a maximum of 53 gallons per minute are typically capable of around 8-10 feet of suction lift.
The hp may be a factor as well as far as lift is concerned.

Do you already have the pump? If you do then take your set up and test it.
If not you may want to call Keene engineering and ask before you buy one. Free call.

Keene Engineering
Outside of California - (800) 841-7833
Inside California - (800) 392-4653

GG~

OP
OP
R

rwells

Jun 27, 2009
Springfield Missouri
I will a 72 gpm be strong enough for a 2 or 2.5 inch dredge with a suction nozzel. I am trying to put togather a lightweight backpacking rig to get into some remote spots.

Thanks
Rick

That should be plenty. I have seen them run with pumps that have a max of only 53 gpm.
Pumps with a maximum of 53 gallons per minute are typically capable of around 8-10 feet of suction lift.
The hp may be a factor as well as far as lift is concerned.

Do you already have the pump? If you do then take your set up and test it.
If not you may want to call Keene engineering and ask before you buy one. Free call.

Keene Engineering
Outside of California - (800) 841-7833
Inside California - (800) 392-4653

GG~

I already have the pump/motor combo, inherited it last year. Pump has the following specs.

Total Head Lift 125 ft.
Suction Head Lift 26 ft.
Maximum Pressure 54 psi

Thanks again
Appreciate the info

Rick

OP
OP
R

rwells

Jun 27, 2009
Springfield Missouri
I did call Keene today and got what I think is some good information. My 72gpm pump and the 2.5 hp Honda will power the 2" dredge nicely. They also recommended to increase performance I should consider the new oversized power jet. Also my suction hose will probably be not more than 15'. If this doesnt perform like I want then I might get a P90 pump and try that.

Thanks again
Appreciate the info

Rick

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
rwells said:
I did call Keene today and got what I think is some good information. My 72gpm pump and the 2.5 hp Honda will power the 2" dredge nicely. They also recommended to increase performance I should consider the new oversized power jet. Also my suction hose will probably be not more than 15'. If this doesnt perform like I want then I might get a P90 pump and try that.

Thanks again
Appreciate the info

Rick

Rick,

That 2.5 HP Honda motor must be something. I use a 6.5 HP on my 2" dredge but it is overkill because I only need it at a quarter of the throttle. It weighs in at around 50 LBS with the pump and a full tank of gas, too heavy to hike with for sure.

Glad to see you have it worked out. Please post some pic's when you get it finished. Then get out there and suck up some gold!

GG~

patches63

Jun 20, 2009
republic of trinity usa
Detector(s) used
gpx4500,gmt
the oversize power jets are nice. if you dont grab those long finger rocks, youll still clog up. without changing the slope of the jet log,you can just unsnap the hose, reach in deliver the calf from the jetlogs butt,resnap the hose, with the motor idling.you must not tilt the dredge forward at all when doing this.else youll blow out your header with cavitation air.lost gold.keep the log deep in the water.the oversize jet/flare, best thing since swimmin with bowlegged wimmin. :icon_pirat:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions