info on cellar holes

FatCat

Aug 28, 2009
HUNTSVILLE Alabama
Detector(s) used
ACE250 w. 10x14'' DD and Lots of research
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I recently found the foundations of old home in the woods. I found some decent finds around it but am wondering if there would have been a cellar hole under the house? All that remains now is a 15x15 (aprx.) pile of rock which is only about 1-2 feet high. Would these have been the foundation of the house or the remains of some of the walls? Any input would be greatly apreciated.

Upvote 0

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are several books on the Garrett and treasure magazines websites in the book mart that tell you all about this. The pile of rocks you see are the walls or chimney. You can remove all the stones to get at the floor, but that is a lot of work.

http://www.treasurenet.com/westeast/ :read2:

Swartzie

Mar 15, 2009
Tuscarawas County, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
More than likely the house would have had a cellar. It's how they kept their food from freezing in the winter and spoiling in the summer. I have run across a couple old home sites where all that was left was a depression in the ground. I assume the stone from the cellar was excavated and used elsewhere. The 15x15 dimensions you describe would be about right for a cellar hole.

-Swartzie

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions