Carla705

Jan 27, 2013
Santa Rosa, Ca
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey everybody...

I searched the forum, but couldn't seem to find the information that I'm curious about.
Doesn't mean it's not there, just couldn't find it.

At what point does a nickel become clad? Is there a specific year that the metal content changed?
I briefly read something that indicated that the mint mark was important in this. True?

I would be grateful for any information.

Thanks,
~C~

arnofarrell

Feb 18, 2012
North West Iowa
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nickels are all made of 75 % nickel and 25% except for the 1942'-45' "war" nickels which were 56% copper 35% silver 9% magnesium.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
nickels are all made of 75 % nickel and 25% except for the 1942'-45' "war" nickels which were 56% copper 35% silver 9% magnesium.
...... Amofarrell.... If you are saving nickels for silver content the only good ones are 1942 through 1945..... All others are only worth a nickel....... Unless you are a collector and save them for some reason like they shine or what ever you collectors save them for...........

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Regular nickels will come up 10 or 12 on the Xterra.

thrillathahunt

Silver Member
Jul 24, 2006
TEXAS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The composition for quarters and dimes changed in 1965 to "clad" meaning layers of nickel and copper. Nickels composition did not change and have always been an alloy - not clad - of nickel and copper, except for the war era nickels.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions