Info on Serranillas Wrecks.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
burt d webber jr made several vists to the area of the san pedro bank, the serranilla and serrana in the 1960's with art mckee and others--he found a badly scattered 1700's era wreck in 1963 on the northeast side of serrana bank---working there in 64 he raised a iron cannon and 2 iron swivel guns---from the same site caymanian islanders got two bronze cannons that were bought by mckee-

but here's what you seek--- I think
Jan 1605 ---the four naos of cordona*
serranilla bank ---jan 1605 four ships of tierra firme armada ---general luis hernandez de cordoba commanding --were tore to bits in a voient storm ---they were as follows
600 ton galleon SAN ROQUE capt by ruy lopez
750 ton galleon SAN DOMINGO capt by diego ramirez
500 ton nao NUESTRA SENORA DE BEGONA capt by pedro munoz
and martin de ormachea's 450 ton nao SAN AMBROSIO
two differant accounts both list large lost of life--money matters-- one says two million the other says "many millions"---a large scale recovery attempt was made and is thought to have recovered about half the treasure--these four ships can safely be said to have lost a million dollars worth that is as of yet unrecovered (as of 1970* (the date that my info comes from)---please note the million dollar figure was at 1970 $35 per oz gold price and 1.65 silver ---these wrecks would be worth 8 to 20 times that amount today--so 8 to 20 million-- ;D )
the ridge of reefs that run in as northeastline in the extreme east of the bank was called La Valira by the spanish and was noted as being quite dangerous--a mag hunt in the outer area should turn up items from these ships as a added bonus there are other ships from the terria firme fleet of 1677 that wrecked in the area -
by the way the island of serrana and both the san padro bank and serranilla banks comes from a rather unlucky vessel that wrecked on the island---SAN PEDRO SERRANO--THE ISLAND IS A TREELESS WATERLESS ISLAND AND THE CREW THAT SURVIVED HAD TO LIVE OFF THE BLOOD OF TURTLES FOR "WATER" AND THEIR FLESH FOR FOOD---they were able to salvage the treasure from the captians cabin but the other treasure from the hold was not recovered DUE TO THE DEPTH IT WAS SUNK AT-- they and the captain cabin treasure were finally recovered by another ship ---the unrecovered treasure in the hold was what webber and art mckee were after most likely back in the 60's---the area is quite hazardous and great care should be used while attempting any recovery --you will be far from aid of any sort-- and its still as "unfreindly" as ever---Ivan

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Also it is under Columbia flag. So that is the main problem, besides being way offshore of Nicaragua.

Rustys Mate

Apr 10, 2007
Philadelphia
Columbia and Honduras claim the Serranilla Banks and her sunken wrecks. That was being contested in International courts this year. I have not heard anything more.
The San Roque and Begona have been found and there are pending salvage rights with the Columbian Government and one party from Columbia and the other from the U.S.

However, most of the vessels are believed to be in International waters and widely scattered.

History says Spain sent two fleets a year to the Carribean. They picked up silver in Mexico, treasure in Cartagena, and varied cargo of gold, jewels, and valuables from Columbia. The 4 that went down near the Seranilla Banks had an estimated 8 million pesos in gold, silver, and emeralds.

Check out Author Timothy R. Walton, University of Virginia. He is an expert on these ships.
He had an article in Treasure Quest Magazine.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
if the international courts finally settle who owns the area (hondura or columbia) and you can get the legal permits to work the area by all means -- or if the wreck sites are very clearly in "international waters" yes by all means --its a rough area but could very well be worth while --- Ivan

Rustys Mate

Apr 10, 2007
Philadelphia
I do believe that Burt Webber is looking into more there. But, don't quote me on that. I heard it through the grape vine at the Expo.

I would think it is well worth it.

Chagy

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2005
Florida
Detector(s) used
JW Fishers Pulse 8X
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
New Zealand Diver said:
Rustys Mate said:
I do believe that Burt Webber is looking into more there. But, don't quote me on that. I heard it through the grape vine at the Expo.

I would think it is well worth it.

is Burt Weber a part of Wreckovery Salvage??

No, Wreckovery Salvage is my buddy Tom Gidus...Who is also part of our group Aquatic Research & Recovery Group....Burt lives in DR he is the owner of Hipanola Ventures here is a pic of me and Tom and me and Burt

All the best,

Chagy.....

Attachments

• normal_Picture-086-web.jpg
    normal_Picture-086-web.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 980
  • 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 908

Chagy

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2005
Florida
Detector(s) used
JW Fishers Pulse 8X
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Rustys Mate said:
Thanks Chagy
Left to right on bottom pic, who is who? I've never met you or Burt or Tom.

On the top pic Tom is on the left and I am on the right...
On the bottom pic Burt is on the left I am on the right and in the back is Bobadilla (also a member of TNet) and the author of the book " Tesoros Perdidos y Escondidos en Republica Dominicana" ("Loat and Hidden Treasures in DR")

All the best,

Chgay......

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Here are a few more details about the 1605 fleet. I did a lot of research on it 10 years ago. Both the British and the French did salvage work on the 1605 fleet. There is reference in the British Treasury Books about a memorandum dated August 20, 1690 which mentions that a wreck was discovered and salvaged in the Seranillas. The British/French salvage effort of 1688-1690 was either the Begonia or the San Ambrosio. They recovered silver bars north of East Cay inside the main reef. In 1995 the Pacific Geographic Co. from Long Beach, CA got a permit to salvage from the Columbian govt. Dr. Jack Williams of the Center for Spanish Colonial Archaeology was the principal investigator and Eric White was the director of operations. Eric worked for my company a few years ago. He told me they found over 20,000 artifacts but little treasure. They had a hard time digging through the sand because a few feet down it turned into something like concrete. The Columbian govt took everything else and P.G. went broke. The San Roque is reported to have 2,000 pounds of emeralds as property of the King on board!

mad4wrecks

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2004
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, DetectorPro Headhunter, Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Here is an old school pic of Burt Webber-not sure if this is from his work on the Serranilla Banks or not.

;D

Attachments

• burt-webber.jpg
    burt-webber.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 828

Claudio

Apr 29, 2007
There is available a list for all the bronze cannons of the San Roque with marks, shields, proprietors, etc. This list was verified with the discoveries items in Serranilla?

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
That picture of Burt is probably from the Silver Shoals area off DR. Hey Claudio, do you have the ship manifest from the San Roque?

signumops

Feb 28, 2007
U.S.
Detector(s) used
Garrett, Minelab, Aqua-Pulse
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tommy Gore on left, Art McKee in background, Burt Webber forefront (no shirt). About 37 years ago near Windley Key on Art's boat.

Previous pic of Burt wearing a Jack Brown rig canvas suit might have been Upper Keys winter time. Why does'nt somebody ask him? Image1.gif

mad4wrecks

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2004
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, DetectorPro Headhunter, Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Terry, I believe you are right about the b&w picture I posted of Burt - winter time in the Keys. It came from the state of Florida photographic collection. Lots of Art McKee pics in that collection, all of them contributed by Weller.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread