Initial Results in NE Ohio

scotty1418

Jan 21, 2009
I thought I'd share my findings after the first 14 boxes or so.

Everyone here really talks about 'beginners luck' but that's all I had. My first two boxes were a pure jackpot - approximately 2 rolls worth of silver total with at least 5 1964s, 2 walking liberties and 2 franklins in addition to 2 proofs.

However since then it's been very difficult. I'm pretty much lucky now if I get 1 40% per box although another box offered a 4th franklin for me. I've had at least 8 skunk boxes, 2-3 which had 1 40% each and the first 2 boxes which did very well.

I recall there being discussions here about northeast ohio being very dry for halves. Is there anyone in the area that can elaborate?

Upvote 0

Pennyworth

Bronze Member
Jan 1, 2006
I too am in Northeast Ohio.

I picked up a box of halves yesterday. The vault teller was getting them for me and another teller made a comment. I overheard her tell the other teller that, you should tell them there isn't any silver in the boxes.
So I said did she make a comment about my box of halves and the teller said yes. The teller that made the comment was told by the Brinks delivery guy that there wouldn't be any silver in the boxes because silver halves are heavier and they get kicked out.

The teller asked me if I search for silver and I said yes as well as commemorative, and errors. He said that's good then you might find something. To which I said the Brinks delivery guy is a liar and he just doesn't want to do his job. He's lazy and is trying to discourage people from ordering the halves. I said it's none of his business what any of us do. To which the teller laughed and said whatever floats a person's boat was find with him. He doesn't mind ordering the boxes.

I will say that the last two boxes I received from that bank had nothing in them. So is it true, is Brinks trying to sort the silver out of the boxes in Northeast Ohio? I'm really not sure,but seeing as this area has been heavily hit by crh'ers in the last 2 years....I think it's possible Brinks might be really tired of it and is now trying to save the silver. I have 3 boxes ordered for next week,so I'll see what they produce.

I can say that another carrier that delivers halves, produced 8-40% halves about two weeks ago. I also have boxes on order with them for this week as well.

When I got into crh'ing in 2006, silver was quite abundant here, but NOT any more.

OP
OP
S

scotty1418

Jan 21, 2009
Pennyworth,

One of my tellers passed along the same comment from the Brinks driver about 2 weeks ago. It sounds like we're pretty close. Mind if I ask where you are? I'm west of Cleveland.

It's definitely discouraging, but based on the huge quantity of marked coins ( >:() I've seen, it does seem like some people hit this area HARD a while back then got out of dodge.

Scott

Pennyworth

Bronze Member
Jan 1, 2006
Hi Scott,

I too am west of Cleveland. Maybe it's true and Brinks is trying to pull the silver halves or they really are just trying to discourage us from crh'ing. The teller that made the comment is from National City bank if that helps. I know this bank also orders halves for a male crh'er. I've actually run into a guy at another bank branch about a year ago that was picking up boxes of halves. So this area really is hit hard.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread