Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Wherever Silver's Hidin'
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorers and E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Injuns....Barber...Seated...and a SILVER coin I've NEVER found or SEEN until NOW

What happened between 9:00 and noon today was a "nutty" but incredible 3 hours. I met up with a buddy at one of our favorite pounded parks that we just hit last week. He had the morning off and so did I. We decided to hunt from 9:00 to noon...and I was just hoping to pop one more injun from this hot spot about the size of a big front room.
When we were there before and I did pretty well :thumbsup:...I noticed a 20' x 60' patch that had walnuts and shells everywhere. They were thick enough that we couldn't even swing the coil...so we dismissed it. ??? Guess what??....I came with a big garden rake this time :thumbsup:...and I spent a few minutes clearing us off a path through the nuts so we could detect. :D

I would have been happy to just pull one more injun from this place...honestly. Since my mom has passed; I have used detecting as an escape....and it always brings me back to life. :angel7: I sincerely don't care if I find anything...but my goal is always "just one more deepie" each time I get out.

The next 3 hours were incredible and my first injun came within 15 minutes. It was a pretty decent hit from 8" down...and now the pressure was off..and my one deepie was out of the way. :thumbsup: What I wasn't prepared for was that 4 more...along with 3 silver coins were to pop out in the next 2 hours and 45 minutes. :wink:

After another 20 minutes I got a strange sound but it repeated from every angle...however the cursor was bouncing clear over to where my iron mask is set at and locking....nearly heading into the iron quadrant. Well...I've been digging by sound alone lately... and using the smartscreen only to see if it jumps all the way over to iron...which it didn't. :thumbsup: I then switched to all metal pinpoint...and again it locked right about mid center of the screen. ::) The sound was good but strange...the cursor wasn't bad...and the pinpoint verified what I heard...so I dug. :wink: From 9" down...out popped another injun with a rusty washer next to it. :thumbsup: Less than 45 minutes into out our alotted 3 hours...and I've already got two injuns in the pouch. :tongue3:

I then slipped into slow motion sweep speed...'cause I figured there might be some more hidin'. Less than 1/2 hour later...I got a high pitched whisper. Even running my gain maxed...this was a sweet flutey whisper...and it made the hair on my nearly shaved head....tingle. ;D This was a very sweet sound and it repeated from everywhere...the kind of signal I don't get often..and the depth meter was buried. :thumbsup: The cursor was going nutty...and was not settling anywhere. Some might think this is bad...but it's actually good depending on where the cursor is fluttering and dancing around at. :tard: Well...it was all over the place...but it always went back to the right side of the screen and towards the top. :thumbsup: I dug me a pretty good sized plug...okay a huge plug :D ...and then ran the probe....nothing. ??? I dug out another 2" or so and ran the probe again. Bingo...a screamer now. :icon_sunny: 10" down out popped the nice Barber dime and it has full liberty. :thumbsup:

I am hunting by sound alone about 80% of the time now and only glance at the smartscreen as a final varification...and sometimes I dig anyway. ;D If it wasn't for needing to glance at the depth meter...I probably wouldn't look at the screen at all. It's my choice to run high gain though...cause I feel it lets me hear faint whispers better ...so I do glance at the depth which also helps me decide whether or not to dig. :thumbsup:

I plugged along for a short time and popped out 2 more injuns. I then looked over at Darrell who was in a slightly newer area and he had a puzzled look on his face as he was circling the hole. I walked over and said "DIG IT". Well...he did..and popped out a nice merc from 7". He can tell you about his finds when he gets around to it.

Well I came for one more injun...and at this point I had a sweet Barber dime and four injuns in my pouch. After only 2 hours...I ready to go home happy...but Darrell wanted to stay longer. THANK YOU Darrell....caise the final hour was incredible.

I went back over to my gridded area and didn't walk 10 feet after checking Darrell's hole ...before getting another sweet hit. I was almost sure I had one more injun so I called him over. It was a very faint repeating "chirper" and it sounded just like a deep injun. :thumbsup: We dug down about 8" and Darrell said he saw silver in the hole. Sure enough...out pops out a worn dime which I thought was a barber...WRONG :thumbsup: ...it was a worn out 1876 CC Seated Dime. :wink: :thumbsup: I have no clue as to why it gave the sound it did..but I don't care. I knew it sounded like a deep coin...but wasn't expecting silver. :headbang:

Walked another 20 feet and got another injun type of hit...heck the wheaties were long picked out of here years ago. There were none of these type hits left in this little area of the park. All the hits I was getting were definately injun....or deep silver type hits. Anyway...turned out to be injun #5 from 8" down. :thumbsup:

By this time we had only 20 minutes left and I was completely shocked with my finds. I was 100% satisfied for this hunt...and the next few as well...because of finding the seated and barber. I was just cruising along watching Darrell out of the corner of my eye...when I got another heart stopper signal. It was a warbly mid to high tone and the cursor was going absolutely CRAZY :tongue3: :tard: ...back and forth like the led lights on a stereo equalizer. :o The sound never changed... sounding like deep THIN silver...but the cursor was nuts. :icon_sunny:
I dug a super sized plug and pulled all the dirt out of the hole...probably near 9". I ran the probe and got nothing. ??? I then ran it over the 9" of dirt I pulled out and sure enough...got the high/mid warbly sound. :thumbsup: I sifted back a little dirt and saw TINY silver. :thumbsup: I picked it up and said to Darrell..."What the freak is this"?? ;D We both just looked at it and stared for what seemed like an eternity. I have NEVER SEEN one of these coins before. Maybe a lot of you have...and a lot of you may have even found one....but I can truthfully say I didn't even know this coin existed. :D First I thought it was a 5 cent Canadian fishscale..but then saw the crown and big #3 on it and the date of 1881. Again I said to Darrell..."What the freak is this"?? :laughing7: I had no clue until I got back at noon today and did some checking. It's an 1881 SILVER THREE PENCE from ENGLAND. :occasion14: Now what the heck was this coin doing setting in
one of my little small town parks?? :hello2: It is a find of a lifetime for me...even though it probably isn't even worth what the worn seated dime is. It is an absolute BLAZER too and you can see every line and detail it has to offer. It truly looks like it was dropped back in 1881. :thumbsup: I would love to know the story behind how it got there and who dropped it. What an amazing hobby this is. I will NEVER forget digging up this sweet little silver English coin from a tiny podunk town park. :wink:
Thanks for sharing this with me....and good luck on your next hunt. :angel7:

Attachments

• coins108.jpg
    coins108.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 1,161
  • coins109.jpg
    coins109.jpg
    12.6 KB · Views: 1,159
  • coins110.jpg
    coins110.jpg
    14.6 KB · Views: 1,165
  • coins111.jpg
    coins111.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 1,191
  • coins112.jpg
    coins112.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 1,188
Upvote 0

Johnny Ringo Silver

Dec 6, 2007
KANSAS
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE and Sunray probe
Re: Injuns....Barber...Seated...and a SILVER coin I've NEVER found or SEEN until NOW

Awesome hunt for the day Buddy!!!! Days like that keep a guy going and going. Congrats on the finds and good luck on the return trip! 8)

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
Middlesex County, New Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Re: Injuns....Barber...Seated...and a SILVER coin I've NEVER found or SEEN until NOW

Congratulations on all the finds...Another post I read earlier today had a 1920 3 Pence posted.

HH

NJ

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Silver 3 pence, my Nan would put 1 of these in the Christmas Pudding (not only my Nan but others to), & who ever chewed on it could keep it.

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT

Another fabulous hunt! I vaguely remember having a day or two like that; it's already an incredible day and still another great coin pops out of the ground! That 3 pence is a great way to cap off the day!

I_Dig_NYC

Jan 25, 2008
Bronx, NY
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm II

What a score :thumbsup:

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Good for you as you well deserve it. Great greenies and a nice barber. I need to find one of them. Sorry to hear you had to disturb the squirrel food :D

Natman

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2007
Hazelwood, MO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's Prizm II, White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Bryce, if that's not inspirational, I don't know what is! Your skills as an expert detectorist has once again paid off.

WTG :thumbsup:
Nat

ziphius

Oct 17, 2007
San Diego
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Minelab E-Trac, Whites Surf PI Dual Field
Re: Injuns....Barber...Seated...and a SILVER coin I've NEVER found or SEEN until

Silverfreak,

Congrats on one heck of a hunt. Your play-by-play is tops in the field. Felt like I was right there digging with you.

Jim

Marc(NB)

Apr 21, 2008
N.B. Canada
Detector(s) used
currently use Sov XS2A Pro,Ace 250,past detectors Garrett 1000 PM,Whites Prizm 2,Fisher 1280X,Tesoro Golden Umax

thats a sweet 3 pence!! Ive only dug one in 9 years! Congrats!! :thumbsup:

minton7

Mar 28, 2007
south central ohio
Detector(s) used
White's Spectrum XLT

great digs man.. if only those coins could talk.. very rare CC even though it is is bad shape.. great going!

kimsdad

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2008
Moronica, northwest of Chicago.
Detector(s) used
E-trac & Bounty Hunter Land Star

Amazing! What an excellent hunt! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Thanks for the great play by play!! :wink:

Mirage

Silver Member
Sep 16, 2005
Cleveland, OH
Re: Injuns....Barber...Seated...and a SILVER coin I've NEVER found or SEEN until

Very sweet finds there. The guy from VA just posted the same 3 pence coin - his was found in Ohio and I think the date was 1920. I love finding foreign silver since it's so uncommon here.

Raking the walnuts was a smart move. It's amazing how much better depth you get when you minimize the distance from the coil to raw dirt.

Did your buddy find any keepers?

Bob

Captn SE

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2007
Southern CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE; X-1 Target Probe; Pro Coil, 6x8 SEF, Coiltek Platypus Elliptical, Sunray X8, Expl. 1050 coils

You never cease to amaze Bryce ...

I certainly agree with Nick's statement.
I have never taken a rake with me to go detecting, Bryce. You're an innovator in this hobby!! ;D ;D :tongue3:

I have dug a lot of worn barbers that sounded close to what an Injun sounds like. I suspect your worn seated was the same case.

That 3 Pence is so unique for a little park in your area!! Great find!!

Fantastic outing, my friend!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

HH,
CAPTN SE
Dan

time4me

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2005
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Explorer II, Excalibur

Hey silverfreak! Living up to your name there!!!

Way to go on those awesome finds!

What coil were you using on your SE?

SoreKneesDayton

Bronze Member
Oct 27, 2007
Dayton, Oh
Detector(s) used
Whites M-6 with Bullseye Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

And your dime is a Carson City mintage. You are amazing Freak...silver..hooooo

SKD

Roger Mn.

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2007
Rochester,Minnesota
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Awesome finds and hunt. :thumbsup:

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Nice collection of coins as usual. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: You always find the good stuff.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread