Instructions on running Keene Boulder winch???

Vance in AK

Feb 15, 2010
Kenai, Alaska
Detector(s) used
Fisher GB II. Whites GM II.
I just picked up a used one because the price was too good to pass up on a pile of misc gear it was included in. Put some fresh gas in it & it fired up.
Now for the silly question. I have the idler figured out on the belt. Cam it over & it locks in & drives. The "Brake" however is another question.
When I move the brake lever up & down nothing happens, The lever moves freely. I see the arm that runs down to the collar that I assume engages/disengages the brake has a setscrew in it that appears to be allowing the brake lever to turn freely in it. Once I get it tightened up I assume it will move freely. Should the brake release easily if the cable is under tension?
When the engine fired up & idled the bears began turning even though the belt tension arm was released. Is this normal or is the belt to tight?
What gear oil should be used in the gear box?
Any tips on using these things other than be careful?

Upvote 0

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have you tried calling Keene to see if they have the manual still available?

winners58

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2013
Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
could be that Keene re-branded from another manufacturer the one I remember them selling was the Stapp industries winch.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The only thing I disagree with the video is the completely unspooled cable. You should always leave 3-4 wraps of cable. That creates what is called a "tensionless anchor". Otherwise you are putting 100% of the initial load on whatever method the cable is secured to the drum, along with the stress on the anchor point and in this case, also the mounting hole the cable is fed through.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread