Interested in Doing some Arrowhead Hunting in SWPA. Where to start?

Kiros32

Bronze Member
Feb 21, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How much research is involved in this aspect of treasure hunting, and are there even maps available for SWPA that show Native American villages?

Or is the range more broad...as in I should just check the nearest plowed field or shallow stream bed? Is there a method? Specific tools?

I am obivously new to this, but I have wanted to try it for quite some time. If anyone knows where to start or could show me the ropes, I would appreciate it.

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Here's what I did (true story): I was detecting at a local church camp and got a quarter signal. Naturally, I dug and out came a clad quarter. In the same hole was an arrowhead. Not scientific, mind you, but it worked for me. I'd say that freshly plowed fields are a good idea, too. A few months ago, I met a guy who has a bit of a treasure bug; he told me that his dad, in the Wampum/Chewton area, found an old clay pipe while digging a garden. That area was heavily Indian at one time. Getting permission in those kinds of areas is probably a good bet. Next week, while blackberry hunting, I'll check in on the Dunns. Good luck, man.

davew0710

Oct 3, 2008
Western Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
E Trac
Best place to start would be the plowed fields. Best time of year is early spring after the fields are plowed. After a good rain is best.
The Carnegie has maps of all registered Indian sites, but they will not pass that info out because of looting and unscrupulous hunters. The Society for PA Archaeology has a chapter in Pittsburgh and meets monthly. You could pick up lots of tips and get some good pointers on hunting here.

mark v

Mar 10, 2006
S.W. Pa.
Detector(s) used
Deus, CTX
If you're looking for a partner to go hunting with send me a PM. I've never found one but would like to. I don't know where to look for them either.
Mark

floodcitykid

Nov 3, 2008
Appomattox coVirginia
Detector(s) used
whites eagle spectrum
fisher gold bug
Kiros32 said:
How much research is involved in this aspect of treasure hunting, and are there even maps available for SWPA that show Native American villages?

Or is the range more broad...as in I should just check the nearest plowed field or shallow stream bed? Is there a method? Specific tools?

I am obivously new to this, but I have wanted to try it for quite some time. If anyone knows where to start or could show me the ropes, I would appreciate it.

As a boy I used to find arrowheads near the George Washington Historical Juniata crossing, there was a field next to the river where you could find them if they plowed. Last time I was there was 2000 doing some metal detecting, field is still there, used as a camp site/fishing.

Flood city Kid

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread