Interested in getting the CZ-21, how could you compare it to Whites Surfmaster PI???

makahaman

Sep 22, 2006
Northshore, Hawaiian Islands
Hello all, I wanted to know if it was worth investing so much money in buying the CZ-21? How could you compare it to the Whites Surfmaster PI? I have found alot of gold with the Surfmaster machine but looking for something new that can discriminate on small items in the sand. I usually go diving so I am underwater most of the time and I also like that you can pump up the volume because of scuba bubbles. What is the depth compared to a Whites PI? Is it worth the $1200 market price. Can someone show me what you have found with machine or is it just a very fancy 1280x? Hope to hear everyones feed back. Thanks!!!

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As a diver too I know my water proof detectors. The CZ-21 is an updated CZ-20 with the addition of a different battery door and the metal pinpoint button. I never need to use that button myself as its faster to pinpoint off the front of the coil. The PI is deeper naturally but who wants to dig 2 foot down for a piece of hairpin. Its even worse in freshwater as hairpins rust away very slowly there. The C-21 has excellent disc with Three different tones to help id the target and a extra loud tone for very shallow or big targets unlike the 1280 which is no slouch but has only one tone and no extra modes, not even pinpoint. The CZ-21 like the CZ-20 handles the saltwater wet sand or the water and is good for 250 feet, but I've only had it down to near 180 feet. In some cases I like it better than the Excal which can sound off on a gold ring under iron.

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with sandman 100%

I had a cz20 for 16 yrs until recent and a surf M PI approx. 10 yrs ago but there's no comparison of the whites PI VS the cz20/21 UNless you're talking sheer depth ONLY.

As sandman said though - who wants to dig hairpins at 18" to 2' though? And since you already know how it is to dig under water while diving - then you know how much of a pain in the Axx it is just to dig 8 or 10 inches WHILE dealing with all the dive equipment/issues!

I know (as you probably do too) that "higher cost" doesn't always mean "better" but in this case it really does

look at the cost of a used cz21 VS the cost of a new Surf M PI and that will tell you something rgt there.

3 tones, pinpoint, disc. mode AND non motion all metal mode, target audio boost, DEEP seeking (as all CZ's are) etc. you can't beat it!

Good luck and HH no matter what you decide :-)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread