Interested in the Hobby

Libralabsoldier

Jan 7, 2007
Baker,LA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 150
When I was a kid growing up in Louisiana, my stepdad, brother and I used to go and poke around old "house spots" where antebellum slave quarters and sharecropper shacks were on our hunting lease. We found great things like old cobalt blue bottles, belt buckles, and other odds and ends. We always wished we could have had a metal detector to help us.

Now, I am 29. I am a US Army veteran, and have been getting interested in metal detecting. I am something of a coin collector, and would love to find some cool old coins to add to my daughters collection.

I have been put off by the high price of some of the detectors I have seen. I need some advice on new vs used, what brands, and what to check for when I get the thing.

If anyone has an old one laying around, I would gladly pay postage or drive within a hundred miles of 73006 to come and pick it up.

Feel free to give me any and all advice. I am a sponge.

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Congrats on that first post! :)

Mostly coin hunting or only doing that?
What's your budget?
Do you want a rather "rough" detector or a "fancy" new modern thing?

I would say much depends on your budget, but a new one is always great with warranty and all.
The GTI series should you look up made by Garrett, or an Explorer (made by Minelab),or an Infinium LS and you can go "everywhere" (water and land) also made by Garrett.

warsawdaddy

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2004
Edwards,Missouri
Detector(s) used
MXT - DeLeon - Gamma 6000
If your budget is 250-350--(1)Musketeer Advantage
(2)Ace250
(3)Cibola/Vaquero

All four are good deep units.

OP
OP
Libralabsoldier

Libralabsoldier

Jan 7, 2007
Baker,LA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 150
Well, I am just researching the hobby right now. I dont need anything super fancy. After ten years in the Army, I appreciate rugged and user friendly (read: idiot proof) over fancy bells and whistles I wont ever use.

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Without a doubt, the best value on the market today is the Garrett Ace series, especially the ACE 250(http://www.garrett.com/hobby/products/ace250.htm). This detector has almost all of the features found on more expensive machines, along with super depth ability..

Although I do not own one myself, I am hearing rave reviews by people in the forums.

Attachments

• test_ace250.jpg
    test_ace250.jpg
    9.4 KB · Views: 188

Gribnitz

Aug 1, 2004
Libralabsoldier said:
Well, I am just researching the hobby right now. I dont need anything super fancy. After ten years in the Army, I appreciate rugged and user friendly (read: idiot proof) over fancy bells and whistles I wont ever use.

Tesoro Cibola sounds like your machine then. A nice, deep relic machine without all the screen junk to have to worry about keeping an eye on. It has very good iron discrimination and does well in the parks for coins too if thats your thing. Lifetime warranty and easy to use. Not too expensive new, even cheaper used if you can find one.

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
you really cant go wrong with any of the machines mentioned here so far. the only piece of generic advise i could give, would be to stick with the major manufacturers (Garrett, Minelab,Tesoro, Whites). i would personally stay away from fisher/ bounty hunter machines myself, but that is only my personal opinion and there are plenty of folks who love them. ( old fisher units are ok, i only suggest staying away from the newer ones). bounty hunter machines and now fisher machines are mass produced in china, and i am not convinced of their quality. if you stick with the big companies ,Whites, Garrett, Tesoro, Minelab, you really cant go wrong. they all make quality machines. ;)

eathabs

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2005
Sunbury, PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 300, Classic ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you can spend the extra money get the 250!!

RON (PA)

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2004
Pittsburgh, Pa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre & Tiger Shark
Thank you for your service to our country.

Hollowpointred summed it up. Stick with the big 4 companies and you can't go wrong.

OP
OP
Libralabsoldier

Libralabsoldier

Jan 7, 2007
Baker,LA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 150
RON (PA) said:
Thank you for your service to our country.

Hollowpointred summed it up. Stick with the big 4 companies and you can't go wrong.

Thanks, but honestly, all I did in my time in the service was what I swore to do in my oath of enlistment, and have always honored my contracts. To me, that is just what you do. I havent done anything particularly heroic or noteworthy except provide the worlds best medical care to soldiers, their dependants and retirees for most of the last ten years. My first three years I was an artillery soldier...so I got to blow stuff up for fun. ;)

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
you really cant go wrong with any of the machines mentioned here so far. the only piece of generic advise i could give, would be to stick with the major manufacturers (Garrett, Minelab,Tesoro, Whites). i would personally stay away from fisher/ bounty hunter machines myself, but that is only my personal opinion and there are plenty of folks who love them. ( old fisher units are ok, i only suggest staying away from the newer ones). bounty hunter machines and now fisher machines are mass produced in china, and i am not convinced of their quality. if you stick with the big companies ,Whites, Garrett, Tesoro, Minelab, you really cant go wrong. they all make quality machines.
By HollowPointed

Buy from a dealer will also get you the most for your dollar. The Ace 150 is a nice turn on an go detector, but the step up to the Ace 250 is the best deal for the money.

HH,
Sandman

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread