Interesting cent in a bag of dimes

Fropa

Feb 27, 2007
SW Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
I've had a bad streak of finding a few cents that have been smashed, ground, or cut to dime size in the bags of dimes I've been getting. The bag I searched last night had 5 cents in it including the first wheat cent I've found smashed down. I took it out of the bag wheat side showing and set it off to the side. When I finished the bag I took a closer look at the wheat cent and found this.

20AUG121909Cent.jpg

I would have loved to have found that cent in that condition without the damage in a bag of cents. Too bad somebody had to distroy it to make 9 cents profit. I also searched a bag of quarters (SKUNK) and a bag of nickels with some interesting items.

20AUG12Pendenta.jpg
20AUG12Pendentb.jpg

20AUG12ElongatedCent.jpg

Sterling Silver pendent was a nice find since no war nickels in the bag. Also had a History Channel Club token and a Lincoln cent.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
F

Fropa

Feb 27, 2007
SW Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
The bag of dimes did have a 1959, 2x1963-D, and a 1964-D so a good bag even with the 5 cents.

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
interesting! congrats on the sterling silver, though i would still check and make sure it doesn't stick to the magnet.
hh
buff

MrSchulz

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2012
DeWitt, Iowa
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Custom Recovery tools, Nupla Prb4t Soil Probe 60 IN,
Primary Interest:
Other
Like buff said, check that pendant with a magnet. Nice haul on the 1909. It probably isn't worth much being damaged.. I'd go and buy bags of cents where you picked up the dimes. Maybe someone dumped a collection and that one was so damaged it read it as a dime

OP
OP
F

Fropa

Feb 27, 2007
SW Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
The pendant doesn't stick to a magnet so it should be sterling. No "S" mint mark or V.D.B. visible on the cent. I buy all the bags that come off the machine at this bank so I'll have 1 or 2 bags of cents tomorrow.

SilverForBrains

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wow weird find, a heavily damaged 1909 in a bag of dimes! and then on top of it a silver pendant. That's why I would love to do bags, but no one sells 'em around here. I have found those stamped penny tokens in half boxes though, I love them because they give you a sense of where the coins are coming from

OP
OP
F

Fropa

Feb 27, 2007
SW Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
I know it isn't a guarantee that it's sterling but probably a fair chance it is. I've found several elongated cents in half bags but never before with nickels. With the size I'm surprised it made it through the machine to the nickels. I picked-up 2 bags of cents, 2 bags of quarters, and another bag of nickels today so I'll see if I have any good cent finds.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions