Greenie
Jun 19, 2012
Jacksboro, Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
600852_858419923006_1547268954_n.jpg

I found these items today. Obviously the top one is a hinge, but what about the bottom two? What would that spike have been used for and does anyone know what kind of chain that is? Thanks!

Upvote 1

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the chain reminds me of something I've seen on cotton scales before. not saying that's what it is, but maybe someone here can give a proper ID

OP
OP
hammit1982

hammit1982

Greenie
Jun 19, 2012
Jacksboro, Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
the chain reminds me of something I've seen on cotton scales before. not saying that's what it is, but maybe someone here can give a proper ID

I found it with the chain broken, but all of the pieces were right there together. I have no idea what it may have been used for. The way the chain links are made makes me think it was hand forged by a blacksmith but I could be wrong. I'm new at this.

Steveo

Jun 12, 2012
upstate Ny
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Garrett gtp1350, Garrett ace150, Whites M6, Whites XLT, Whites QTX, Tesoro Silver Umax,
(RETIRED> ☆Whites Coinmaster TR, ☆Whites Coinmaster 2 TR AM)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
From what I can tell from the pic it looks like it got some age to it.I'de say that the chain was not machine made.It kinda looks like it was used to hang something,kinda like what jewelerguy suggested.Anywho that's my guess.Good luck.............

hamiddetecting

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2012
North Pole
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT and Excalibur II, Whites, Garrett, Fisher, Alert, MD,Cscope,Tesoro, Compas, XP, Long Rs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:dontknow:Well done, congratulation!

OP
OP
hammit1982

hammit1982

Greenie
Jun 19, 2012
Jacksboro, Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
From what I can tell from the pic it looks like it got some age to it.I'de say that the chain was not machine made.It kinda looks like it was used to hang something,kinda like what jewelerguy suggested.Anywho that's my guess.Good luck.............

my brother-in-law suggested that it might be a lock for a gate that held cattle. Someone else suggested that it was part of a graindrill. Any thoughts on these two theories?

K Zack

Feb 2, 2012
West Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab- Explorer XS, Excalibur 800, Sovereign XS-2 Pro, Fisher 1280X
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The top item is a Hasp for a padlock, the chain looks like a part of a horse harness.
Happy Hunting
Kevin

K Zack

Feb 2, 2012
West Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab- Explorer XS, Excalibur 800, Sovereign XS-2 Pro, Fisher 1280X
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
These chains were made in many shapes and sizes. Many were made by hand in blacksmith shops all over the world, there was not a set pattern for them.
The Blacksmith would make whatever the customer wanted or needed.
If you look at the end of the links of the chain you have you will see where it is wore thin from being under load for a long time.
I am thinking the one you have was wore out and replaced with a new one.
Happy Hunting
Kevin

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread