Interesting Chumash Relic and Beads

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
View attachment 714020 View attachment 714021 View attachment 714022 View attachment 714023 View attachment 714025 View attachment 714026
When WWII started everyone in California thought the Japanese were going to invade, and I was a pretty small kid, and some of my first memories were the army sending troops to the coast. I remember going with my dad, taking the soldiers coffee and donuts, and they had a huge (to me at the time) wooden cannon pointed out to sea, which I thought was really dumb, not understanding what they had in mind, but that's not part of this story. There might be people that read this that have been to Avila Beach, so I'm going to describe where the Indian mound was at the start of the war. In the 1800's there was a train from San Luis Obispo to Port San Luis, which is just past the small town of Avila, where the road dead ends still today. The railroad had to build a bridge across the mouth of San Luis creek to get to the port. When the tracks were removed, the bridge became a one lane auto bridge, and a mostly one lane road out to the fisherman's pier at the port, because cargo was no longer brought in to that location. The Union Oil Company then built a dock and brought oil tankers into Avila just on the other side of the bridge a couple of hundred yards or so. When the railroad had been built through there, they made a large cut through a huge Indian mound, leaving a small portion of the mound on the ocean side of the road, which when the war started was very close to the Union Oil dock. I mention the war, because the army dug an emplacement right smack in the middle of what was left of the mound, sandbags and roof and all. At this point, the mound looked every bit like a mesa out in the desert, flat topped, straight sides for a distance and sloughed dirt below the straight side, only the flat top wasn't very large. Maybe 25 by 50 feet, perhaps not that large, eroded at the ocean side, straight to the rocks below, and on the road side the sloughed dirt was situated so that a person could walk along that edge. I'm sorry, I have no picture of the location, and they have widened the road, and nothing is left there now. What do you suppose a couple of 8,9, or 10 year old boys would do with a place like that and an army emplacement, either for machine gun or observation, how ever the army used it, for us it was always a fighting hole, and we would get filthy in that sooty soil. The soldiers had dug up human remains, two skulls that I remember, and other bones. We of course took the skulls, but Mom made us take them back and bury them. The trail up to the top was by no means a good one, and our use and the weather kept eroding it, so that every time I went up there I found shell beads. I put them in my pocket, took them home, and lucky for me, Mom saved them all in a box, and those are the beads in the photo. The black sooty soil and shell midden was at least four feet thick, from the top of the mound, exposed on the sheer side towards the road, for the entire length. But a person had better luck finding stuff on the top, but every now and then I went along the side checking things out, and one day, there was a flat stone exposed, barley showing out of the dirt, located about in the middle of the sooty soil. In other words, if a person was digging from the top, it would have been two to three deep. When I pulled it out, it was covered with greasy black dirt, which I should have left on it, but I was a kid and used detergent to clean it up. I remember thinking at the time that it was remarkable that something could stay that greasy being buried as long as that had been in there. I know it's an artifact due to the conditions in which it was found, but I sure don't know what they were using it for. I know abalone is too tough to eat without being pounded tender, but they would have probably used a heavier stone for that. Maybe a dish for eating, I don't really have any good ideas, something I can say it's gotta be this or that, so your ideas are welcome.

The picture next to the beads is stuff I picked up on top of the mound, a small abalone shell, a lower leg bone of a deer that they had broken to get the marrow out, some points that weren't perfect but still were brought home. In those days many a time if the point wasn't perfect it just got tossed, left for someone else to find. There are some more beads in with the stuff, but it's mostly shell from stuff they ate. The Spanish built a mission in San Luis Obispo in 1772, and in among all the shell beads I found three white glass trade beads, not pictured. The trade beads were found in the trail up to the top.

The yellowish bone on the right by the blue book is one that I dug up here in Oregon. I have no idea what it is, but I was digging a water line with a back hoe, and it came from three or four feet down, I thought that was interesting and kept it. It had darn sure been there for a long time, and that's all the bone I found, although I didn't look very hard.
Avila4.jpg Avila2.jpg Avila3.jpg Avila1.jpg beads.jpg my collection5A.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great site that was. Glad to see you saved some of it. Those beads are great. Love the abalone shell pendants also. That flat stone looks to be a tablet. At least that what I have come up with so far ..I just came up with a portion of one yesterday that I'm trying to figure out myself. Good timing on your post I'm looking forward to the responces also. That leg bone looks a little thick for deer.. it may be bison.

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm thinking gorget perform on the stone.

13831766_1_x.jpeg

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Could not access the first attatchments. Really nice finds BosnMate! :icon_thumleft: Is there any thing left of the Indian mound?

OP
OP
BosnMate

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Great site that was. Glad to see you saved some of it. Those beads are great. Love the abalone shell pendants also. That flat stone looks to be a tablet. At least that what I have come up with so far ..I just came up with a portion of one yesterday that I'm trying to figure out myself. Good timing on your post I'm looking forward to the responces also. That leg bone looks a little thick for deer.. it may be bison.

No bison ever on the California coast as far as I know. It's from a cloven hoofed animal, and I've cut up enough deer that in my opinion it's a deer leg bone. Not many animal bones in that mound, the vast majority of stuff was sea shell.

OP
OP
BosnMate

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Could not access the first attatchments. Really nice finds BosnMate! :icon_thumleft: Is there any thing left of the Indian mound?

The first attachments are the same photos, for some reason they didn't work the first time and I had to edit and reload, and they loaded fine the second time. Is there anything left? Sadly no. The little hand full of shells on the counter below the larger abalone shell is what I picked up the last time I was there, and that's basically all that was left, so I picked them up just for nostalgic reasons. In that little grouping of stuff there are a few beads, and some points that were all found while the mound was still there.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great post sir. I do not understand the mentality of some where they would just soon this wash away instead of being cherished and saved. I am glad you were able to go back and save some and add to the fine memories from your youth. It seems we used the wooden cannon trick for many battles.
Enjoy your finds and thanks for sharing. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
BosnMate

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I've added some pictures of where the mound was. Avila BeachA.jpg #1 is the breakwater, #2 is where the train ended, #3 is the location of the railroad bridge, #4 is the Union Oil Company dock, #5 is the location of where the mound was, and #6 is where the army had the wooden cannon.
Avila BeachB.jpg #1 is the Union Oil dock, #2 is the location of the mound, #3 was a much larger part of the cut than the one with the artifacts on it, but gives you an idea of what the mound looked like, #4 is the location of the railroad bridge, which became a one way auto bridge, and #5 wasn't there at all. At the time I was finding artifacts I often thought the mound might have extended to the other side of the cut, but the bank was really high, perhaps 50 feet or so, and way too steep to climb, and as far as we knew, there weren't any foxholes up there, so why would a kid want to go? Avila BeachC1.jpg Just a little closer view, the arrow points to the meager remains of the mound, and x marks the spot under the road fill where there were exposed fossil bones imbedded in the rock. As kids we called them dinosaur bones, but odds are it was a whale. Anyhow the bones were huge and imbedded into a sandstone type of rock. We'd show them to people, but as far as I know, nobody ever thought of trying to recover any. I just discovered that I could save google earth images --- Katy bar the door.

pickaway

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
Detector(s) used
ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice read, the artifacts are really nice.

S

stefen

Bosnmate,

Some great finds you made and are now in your private collection...considering many sites have been destroyed by modern civilization...the Chumash are to Californians what the archiac finds are to the midwest and eastern collectors.

The whole region was cattle graze land for the Spanish Catholic Missions, and later Spanish Land Grant Ranchos. And yes, there were bison (American Bufallo) in the region as well, which Cal-Poly at SLO can confirm.

There are numerous museums in the coastal vicinity from Bowers Museum in Santa Ana to Santa Barbara to SLO, that provide historic support data for the Chumash, that ranged from the San Diego northward to the coastal areas above San Luis Obispo, including the Channel Islands.

Were you able to find any Cog Stones? Bowers Museum has an extrodinary collection and display.

For additional support to Bosnmate, those not familiar with the Chumash the following may be of interest...http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chumash_people

The Chumash were a sea-going people who lived along the Southern and Middle coast of California...and many were enslaved in the Missions...

Although Wikipedia needs to be updated...evidence of Chumash occupation has been found on Catalina Island and 30 miles inland in the Santa Ana Canyon region of Orange County.

Last edited:

ARobinson

Jan 1, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! You seem to be knowledgable and you aren't aware that the Chumash occupied ALL of the SB Channel Islands? "Evidence has been found"? Try lots of archaeologists excavating Chumash sites over 6k years old and Mission records showing Chumash coming from all of the SB island villages.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread