Interesting civil war find

Tigerdude

Apr 2, 2016
South louisiana
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dug the enfield bullet on the right at a camp yesterday. About 2 feet away at the same depth, I found the lead bar. I know confederates often made bullets on the run. I began to wonder how did they source lead to make bullets in the field. Scraps of lead , I understand... But what about supplied lead? Would it come in ingots or, as in this pic, a lead bar. Or did this fall off a tractor 10 years ago. Please let me know your thoughts.

Upvote 3
OP
OP
T

Tigerdude

Apr 2, 2016
South louisiana
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
image.jpg

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Fiskar's Big Grip Digger & my old Army Trench shovel for the tough jobs
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I really have no idea.
I do know that I've found many random pieces of lead in a variety of sizes and shapes on old farms and around abandoned houses.

I know that lots of people used to make many things from lead at home including toy soldiers, and sinkers for fishing. As far as the CW soldiers go I just don't know how they got it or what form it came in.

can

Dec 26, 2015
NC
Detector(s) used
xp DEUS, excal sword,ctx 3030, garrett carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
interesting

OP
OP
T

Tigerdude

Apr 2, 2016
South louisiana
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Since I posted, I've googled civil war lead bars. Actually did find info on lead bars soldiers used to make bullets in the field. Some bars were actually stamped,some were just a hunk of lead. I could not find a round bar like the one I found but ,oh well, like I was told when I first started "If you find it, you get to call it" . I say it belonged to one of Colonel Greene's calvary soldiers giving hell to Banks in Louisiana. Ha. Thanks for the info.

alabama11

Nov 23, 2015
north Alabama
Detector(s) used
Garrett Frontiersman, Tesoro Ciboli , Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pin Pointer 2, Minelab Equinox 800, Panky.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That lead bar is interesting and since it is heavily patinated and found with civil war material i vote with you on it being a
Lead source bar. Could you see any seam marks on it? I have wondered about lead like this, but not seen such a convincing piece.

jwarner51

Aug 11, 2014
United states of America
Detector(s) used
Minelab Exterra 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have found many small lead bars that predate the civil war but they are about a 1/2 a foot long and about 1/2 inch wide and 1/4 inch tall. Always stamped "JK" Never seen a round bar though. However it very well could be

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread