Interesting conversation, update with picture!

peanuttom

Oct 4, 2009
I was making my Saturday rounds at the banks, asking for halves when a head teller overheard me and asked if I was looking for silver coins. I said yes, among other things and she said had "tons" of them. I asked how long she had worked in banks and she told me 32 years. She then goes to her desk and produces several baggies and dumps them on the counter. 2 silver dollars, a barber dime, several silver halves and a large cent (never seen one in person). She said the coin shop down the street gives her 3X, $1.50/per, for Franklins.

I wrote down my phone number, told her I'd pay her more than the dealer, and said I'd buy as much as she was willing to sell. She said she'd definitely call me. Will definitely offer her at least 4X, but don't want to screw this up. Gut says offer 5 and hope she says yes. Advice?

Upvote 0

obediah

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2009
Clarksville TN.
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE Pro

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
obediah said:
fistfulladirt said:
You ripped her off, I would have offered at least 10X face. Congrats on a great deal.
He absolutely did NOT rip her off, she agreed to a price, if she had said she wanted more he'd of either offered more or agreed to her request! :angry9:
Ok, ok, he did not rip her off, more like took advantage.

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
fistfulladirt said:
obediah said:
fistfulladirt said:
You ripped her off, I would have offered at least 10X face. Congrats on a great deal.
He absolutely did NOT rip her off, she agreed to a price, if she had said she wanted more he'd of either offered more or agreed to her request! :angry9:
Ok, ok, he did not rip her off, more like took advantage.

Sorry FFD, but you're wrong. To take advantage would mean the teller suffered from some disability that the OP exploited. If the teller was mentally retarded, or senile, or suffered from Alzheimers, etc, then I would say that he "took advantage" of her.

But if an individual has less knowledge of a certain subject matter in a "business transaction" then so be it. Just like if you sold a stock in a company because based on your research you felt the company was going to go bankrupt. Let's say you were right, did you "rip off" or "take advantage" of the person your stock broker sold your stock shares to who lost his/her a$$ when the stock went to zero after the company went bankrupt? Does it matter that you did not know the identity of the person who bought your stock shares vs. the teller who sold the coins?

Jim

timbobwey

Bronze Member
Mar 16, 2009
MI
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
She gave you a good deal. I say as long as she was happy with it then it's cool. She made a profit either way u look at it.

gold eye

Jan 2, 2010
tampa fl
Detector(s) used
garret masterhunter 7x ace 250
All i have to say is you made a great score you double what she was making and she was happy and so where you i would have made the same deal too and now you have the chance to get more from her later on because she can make more money then she was making from the dealer SO enjoy your silver . happy hunting RON

golden silver

Silver Member
Oct 22, 2007
Hampton Roads, VA.
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter sharp shooter 2, minelab sovereign xs 2a pro
FFD, I must say that Jim4silver is right about your judgement. You are dead wrong. If that is the case then every time you bought silver coin from a teller at a bank without offering him/her the current melt value, you could be accused of the very same thing. So in my opinion the High horse needs to be laid out to pasture. Congrats peanut on an rare and outstanding opertunity that worked out well for both you and the teller.

Golden Silver

how u do n

Dec 21, 2008
in my own little world :)
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1280x Minlab E-Trac Garrett Pinpointer
Very nice :)
There is no way you ripped her off.
It would be like when you get a call from the bank and the teller says
She has taken in some coins would you like them. :)
I think ya did good :) :hello2: :hello2:
hh gl dan

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
golden silver said:
FFD, I must say that Jim4silver is right about your judgement. You are dead wrong. If that is the case then every time you bought silver coin from a teller at a bank without offering him/her the current melt value, you could be accused of the very same thing. So in my opinion the High horse needs to be laid out to pasture. Congrats peanut on an rare and outstanding opertunity that worked out well for both you and the teller.

Golden Silver
Ok, i can only take so much "piling on". I'm just used to offering 10 X face right off the bat. ffd

OP
OP
P

peanuttom

Oct 4, 2009
Thanks for the support guys. I can also understand those who think I wasn't quite fair. I guess the final decision will be made by the teller (bank manager). She still has the bag of dimes and said she had more coins in a safe deposit box at another branch. She also has my phone number.

When I showed up at her branch yesterday, she had the coins all separated by type in individual bags in the truck of her car. Mind you I hadn't spoken to her since she mentioned it 2 weeks ago. There was no advance arrangement. She was ready to sell and she accepted my offer.

When I asked her how long she had been saving the coins, I said "at some point did you look at the silver and say to yourself ' I should be saving these?'. She told me she had begun saving them from the beginning of her 30+ years in banking and actually had to force herself to stop. She had become obsessed with finding silver. She could hear it when customers set it on the counter. She searched customer's deposited rolls. She was CRHer!

And then she just stopped. I guess when you have a family and almost unlimited access to silver coins, you can at some point become silver rich and cash poor. She had some of those coins, money stashed away in plastic bags for years and possibly decades. Like I said, she was happy with the transaction, and she seemed a little relieved to get rid of it. Now she has time to sleep on it for a while. If she calls me for the rest, I'd say that settles the question over whether it was fair deal. :)

coinmojo

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
Michigan
fistfulladirt said:
golden silver said:

Golden Silver
Ok, i can only take so much "piling on". I'm just used to offering 10 X face right off the bat. ffd

I'm with ya on the 10x but that has gotten me nothing for the most part and judging by the photo and result's of the trade, the teller was satisified and this guy got a "Fair deal" silver could drop and usually drops faster than it rises. So he was afforded a coushon in the event that happens.
Wish I could convince some of those cherry picking tellers to cut loose with me. It's like pulling teeth though.

Mojo

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread