Interesting day of permission seeking...

jbow

Sep 24, 2005
Cartersville, GA
There is a historical marker at the old RR bridge across the Etowah river at Cartersville. It tell's of a fort on top of the small hill right beside the old bridge piers and how the Yankee soldiers would play baseball in a field just to the west. I'm not sure where the field was so I stopped in at the office of the Cimbar company that is right there. The person I talked to was really nice, took me outside, walked me up the hill, showed me their property line, and said to help myself. He also showed me another place that is not theirs but he told me that the company that owns it would never know and wouldn't care if I hunted there. I also got an invite to search his home in Dallas that was built around 1900. I'm glad I asked.
Next I went to the Cartersville parks and rec office to talk to Greg, who is in charge because I know him so I figured i'd be respectful enough to tell him i'd be hunting there. He was not in, I left a message and i'll go back tomorrow.
Then I went to a clients home that was built in the 19th century. They told me that I was welcome to hunt and that no one would be home tomorrow...to help myself.
Then I stopped by a home/mansion that was built in 1901 called "Grand Oaks" I talked to Ray who owns the place and he said "no problem...hunt anytime". I also asked a friend who lives in a home built in 1914, i'll get permission there but he wanted to inform his wife before I go there.

Asking for permission may be a little scary but it is well worth it, as you can see. I'd encourage you to ask about any place that you think about, even the one's that you think you'd never get permission for because you never know... I learned that in my business. It's called "never qualify a lead". The sales you think you have in the bag will likely not pan out and the one's you figure you'll never have a chance at will turn out to be some of the best...ask about everything...everywhere.

So anyway today the only place I got time to search at all was the hill next to Cimbar and hopefully it is the worst lead of the bunch... I had no idea people would climb a hill and sit in kudzu just to drink beer. The hilltop is covered with Bud and Pabst cans and pulltabs. I found nothing but trash but i'll end up going back there in the winter when the kudzu and the briars die back. Behind the office in the woods is a cemetary that dates back to 1800... and there was a Presbyterian church there in the 1800s before it moved to town...

while I have no good finds to post pictures of I think I soon will due to the leg work today. I still have to go out to the farm with the wagon road in Kingston too.

Fingers crossed...

Julien

Upvote 0
K

Kentucky Kache

Congrats on the good day. That makes me want to move to GA. Go get 'em.

DigEmAll

Aug 29, 2005
Eastern UP, Michigan
Gosh I miss living in Georgia!!! Did you have any luck locating the bridge crossing where the skirmish was? If I remember correctly, it is to the southwest about a half mile from old RR bridge pillars. You could see them from the crossing. I went there with my dad in the mid 80's, and he did pretty well. I spent the day digging for him... man that was a long day.

Good luck!

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks Like you Had LUCK coming out your Ears ;D

CONGRATS All the way Around.

jeff

OP
OP
J

jbow

Sep 24, 2005
Cartersville, GA
DigEmAll said:
Gosh I miss living in Georgia!!! Did you have any luck locating the bridge crossing where the skirmish was?? If I remember correctly, it is to the southwest about a half mile from old RR bridge pillars.? You could see them from the crossing.? I went there with my dad in the mid 80's, and he did pretty well.? I spent the day digging for him... man that was a long day.

Good luck!

I don't know about a skirmish near the old RR bridge across the Etowah. I'm all ears though. I am trying to figure out where the union soldiers played baseball near the old bridge. I think it must be the field at the corner of 293 and the river, it's posted though, i'm going to ask about it.
There was a skirmish at the bridge on Cass-White rd between Hood's guys and McCooks guys. I'm waiting for my wife to talk to the owner when she come's in for a meeting...should be soon. I'm interested in where your dad, I mean you, dug near the bridge.

I went to one of the houses today that I got permission for. I didn't find a lot but what I found was good. A nice old brass valve for 1/4" tubing, a small padlock...an Eagle, assorted trash, an Indian Head penny that went into the olive oil jar, and a buffalo nickle that I have not cleaned yet.

I wish i didn't have to work at all...

I also got permission today for the house across the street from my wife's office, built is 1870. It was the Knight home of Knight's mercantile. Then coming down the street I saw an old friend, stopped to talk, asked about hunting sites...found out he has 9 rental properties and manages over 30 others. He said to call him next week and he'd tell me where I can hunt...

I need to retire... I also need a big bottle of ibuprofen...

J

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread