Interesting document about past Bahamian Salvage efforts

ropesfish

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2007
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
A sharp eye, an AquaPulse and a finely tuned shrimp fork.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Last edited:

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
#35 my crew salvaged from my vessel, the R/V Explorer (Roatan). I initially identified the name of the vessel by a timber floating in the water column marked "Brig Baltic Galveston"; later confirmed by records in Nassau and the insurance company who insured the cargo.
Don.....

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Those so called statistics are not true. After all, look who wrote it. My buddy Joe Hines was at the cookout. He took over the Maravilla/Memory Rock area after Marx was kicked out. Joe was Marx's partner. Joe consistently turned in all the treasure he found along with detailed reports year after year. If there is no record it is because the corrupt Bahamian officials stole it! Don't be so fast to blame the salvors. The last year that Joe worked there was 1998. When he went back the following year for the division the officials said "No, we're going to keep it all."

Last edited:
OP
OP
ropesfish

ropesfish

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2007
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
and therein lies the problem, Pete. That is the "official record" and, I suspect, the one that is referred to by the folks that don't want any shipwreck salvage in the Bahamas.
Here's a reactionary window into the wonderful world of the Bahamas:
Bahamaspress.com | The Real News in The Bahamas

and two that are a bit more firmly grounded:
The Tribune
and
check out this article from the Nassau Guardian from 18 months ago...what leaseholders is he speaking of?
https://thenassauguardian.com/2016/10/12/protecting-our-heritage-under-the-sea/

aquanut

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2005
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21, Tesoro Tiger Shark
and therein lies the problem, Pete. That is the "official record" and, I suspect, the one that is referred to by the folks that don't want any shipwreck salvage in the Bahamas.
Here's a reactionary window into the wonderful world of the Bahamas:
Bahamaspress.com | The Real News in The Bahamas

and two that are a bit more firmly grounded:
The Tribune
and
check out this article from the Nassau Guardian from 18 months ago...what leaseholders is he speaking of?
https://thenassauguardian.com/2016/10/12/protecting-our-heritage-under-the-sea/

Bill, I'm interested in reading pertinent info on these links, however, the only one I got anywhere with was the last one. Can you enlighten me, please, as to where I might direct myself once I'm on one of these sites? Thanks.

OP
OP
ropesfish

ropesfish

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2007
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Bill, I'm interested in reading pertinent info on these links, however, the only one I got anywhere with was the last one. Can you enlighten me, please, as to where I might direct myself once I'm on one of these sites? Thanks.

Sorry, John. I wasn't clear. Those are just Bahamian newspapers available online. That Nassau Guardian article is somewhat interesting because I was not aware of any leaseholders in the Bahamas in 2016.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions