Interesting E-Trac Observation - Wheatbacks & Indians

49r Relics

Jan 11, 2008
Gold Country (California)
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Garrett AT Pro, Makro Racer 2, Garrett Pro-Pointer, Detector Pro Grey Ghost headphones, Lesche diggers, Apex picks.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting E-Trac Observation - Wheatbacks & Indians

Was doing some bench testing with a handful of Wheaties, most show up for me as 12-44, however for some reason I get variations of 12-36 to 12-44 sometimes as well. I used to think it was just the coin on it's side but after the benchtests I found a full range between 12-36 & 12-44 along with a very obvious difference in tones. I had a 1921 that was about Fine condition it was way down around 12-37, then a really nice 1949 in AU and it read 12-44, was trying to see if condition was the factor as some of the copper being worn away makes the worn ones a bit lighter = less mass. However after checking both types of Indians and lot's of Wheaties, I have come to the conclusion that wear/condition and patina has nothing to do with the differences, it's more about the metallic composition. So it is my opinion that the mints used slightly different copper throughout the years and different mints.

So, instead of ignoring all zinc pennies, I will start digging more because there were several indians that came up exactly where the zinc did. Same thing with the wheaties. Bottomline is, if you are in a old area with potential for both zincs and indians, you just need to figure out at what depth will you walk by what you think is likely a zinc penny? Another observation was, Choice BU (Uncirculated) Nickels show up at 12-14 and worn, pocket change nickels at 12-13.

And lastly in my test garden I have 2 silver quarters at 8" lying right next to each other. So when you cross the coil over the 2 coins across with the coins in the top bottom alignment, you get a typical quick tone and normal reading, but when you turn 90 degrees and cross them side by side, you get a prolonged tone but besides it being prolonged, it is otherwise normal in every way. So if you ever encounter this type of response (prolonged), turn 90 degrees and try it again, if it is all of the sudden short, you likely have a spill.

Anyone have anything else to add to this or a different conclusion?

Cheers, Mark

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Interesting E-Trac Observation - Wheatbacks & Indians

It is never the value of the coin, just the conductivity that gives the readings. One reason to not look at the screen at all and just dig if the sound is solid and even then you will miss something good once in awhile.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Yes angles are very important, and even more so when your first target is not a good target. That's a big part of why the higher end Minelabs (and really all detectors) have to be swung slower in trash. You need to recognize the very subtle blip of a good - masked target, enough to stop and check from another angle. Anyone one who flies through a site with many targets is more likely just to get the surface solid hits. I know without question many of the old places I dig with quite a bit or iron it's not possible to be quick. Can you say... "Minelab Wiggle" That's the name of the game.

neilo

Aug 23, 2005

I have found thousands of coins with my Etrac it paid for itself within twelve weeks, one thing which is obvious is the wide variety of different numbers for identical coins. The 12 line is a falisy, I have found the same coin varying from the 11 line all the way down to the 17 line. plus the conductivity number varying from 34 to 41. I still have my old Explorer 2 and that has a much more accurater target ID and I think it is a better machine for general park detecting for sure seeya neilo

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

neilo said:
I have found thousands of coins with my Etrac it paid for itself within twelve weeks, one thing which is obvious is the wide variety of different numbers for identical coins. The 12 line is a falisy, I have found the same coin varying from the 11 line all the way down to the 17 line. plus the conductivity number varying from 34 to 41. I still have my old Explorer 2 and that has a much more accurater target ID and I think it is a better machine for general park detecting for sure seeya neilo

There's only one line on my explorer, it's the International Colonial Date Line and I'll dig any good sound that falls on either side. ;D

Mach1Pilot

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2008
Bedford County, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher, Teknetics and more!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Iron Patch said:
neilo said:

There's only one line on my explorer, it's the International Colonial Date Line and I'll dig any good sound that falls on either side. ;D

Now that is worth a good chuckle. :laughing9:

I just need to find that line on my Etrac. ;D

neilo said:

I've used a slightly different technique.... mine is to watch for a steady conductive signal, if the ferrous signal bounces I don't care.... because those signals always results in a nice find.

And if I am remembering correctly, a half reale rang up with a 19 ferrous number last fall...

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Mach 1 Pilot said:
Iron Patch said:
neilo said:

neilo said:

I've used a slightly different technique.... mine is to watch for a steady conductive signal, if the ferrous signal bounces I don't care.... because those signals always results in a nice find.

And if I am remembering correctly, a half reale rang up with a 19 ferrous number last fall...

My most target finds in iron will not register on my explorer, and i'm pretty sure they wouldn't on an e-trac either.

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other

Indians come in two alloys. After the war a lot of wheats were made using surplus cartridge cases. This could account for some of your observations.

OP
OP
49r Relics

49r Relics

Jan 11, 2008
Gold Country (California)
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Garrett AT Pro, Makro Racer 2, Garrett Pro-Pointer, Detector Pro Grey Ghost headphones, Lesche diggers, Apex picks.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

gleaner1 said:
Indians come in two alloys. After the war a lot of wheats were made using surplus cartridge cases. This could account for some of your observations.

I don't have any pre-1864 Indians to test, but that definitely makes sense, if it's the same exact size coin, same weight, same mass, it could only be the different copper/brass that was used at different times. The ID is way different on the E-Trac than the Explorer SE. I am a lot more unsure, but this is a good thing as I am digging more iffy targets and finding lots of unusual pieces of jewelry and interesting items. At the beach I scoop up every signal so no big deal, but in soil, I am digging twice as many signals as I do with the SE.

One thing that has been mentioned several times and I will say it here again, the ability of the E-Trac to pull good targets out of trashy areas is amazing.

SgtSki in MI

Oct 14, 2007
Hesperia, MI
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS & Explorer II, Fisher 1236-X2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

gleaner1 said:

They were made of reclaimed shell casings from 1944 to 1946. The alloy for those are .950 copper and .050 zinc as opposed to the regular alloy of .950 copper and .050 tin AND zinc. On my Explorer XS, they give a nice high tone like silver and i absolutely HATE them!

Another observation I've made recently regarding wheaties vs. IH's.......I've noticed that the older wheaties from the 'teens that have been in the ground that long are beginning to display and sound just like IH's with my settings

HH,
SgtSki

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Iron Patch said:
Mach 1 Pilot said:
Iron Patch said:
neilo said:

neilo said:

My most target finds in iron will not register on my explorer, and i'm pretty sure they wouldn't on an e-trac either.
No they don't.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread