Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this one so far going through a roll. I have another with the die crack through the top of TRUST. I'll post pics in this thread later...Still learning, or trying to learn the varieties! And Thank You, Frank!! (Huntsman) for all your help!! I'm having a blast with this so far.

And every one else too!

Not sure if this is anything yet. I'm still looking, just thought it was interesting!! The T in Trust has an issue, not sure if it's mint or after mint. Kind of looks after mint to me, but wasn't positive and wanted to throw it out there for opinions...This was in a UNC Roll, But, I see that they are mixed, Like a "Built" UNC roll, which is good!! Better chance of Variety and I think I have a few, Maybe? Still checking...

39 001.JPG 39 002.JPG
39 003.JPG

Best picture when blown up..
39 004.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
Nitric

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for posting, Nitric. Not sure either.

I keep looking at it, The more I look at it, I can convince myself either way!:laughing7: I had to set it aside for now.

Pretty cool that you can actually see the sanding or polishing scratches from the die. I guess I never really looked or paid attention that close to nickels before.

Last edited:

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks to be a low spot on the planchette before it was struck.

OP
OP
Nitric

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks to be a low spot on the planchette before it was struck.

Thank you...!! I think I'm going to be on nickels for a while!! I didn't realize I had saved as many as I did. So, I get to learn about those for a couple days. lol Trying to crash course...:laughing7:

OP
OP
Nitric

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jefferson 1939 WDDO-005? My eyes are going crazy! can someone confirm or tell me I'm seeing things?:laughing7: Thanks!! I think I can barely see the Die crack around the nostril when I get it at the right angle, but getting a pic is a nightmare. I need a better way for pics if I'm going to get into this, but for now it's what I have to work with.

wddo 5 001.JPG wddo 5 002.JPG wddo 5 003.JPG wddo 5 004.JPG wddo 5 005.JPG wddo 5 006.JPG

Last edited:

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes,low spot on the planchet aka defective planchet.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
I could be wrong but IMHO, it is post mint damage! Note how some extra metal is bulged up to left of the tail of the "T" and practically touching it and how the bottom 1/5th of the tail of the "T" is bent to the right. To me, that spells that the coin took a hit.

Frank

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I vote Enamel and Smokey on #1, #2 looks more like scratch on die, crack at that location less likely, just my 10 cents worth. your photos are amazing in detail

OP
OP
Nitric

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I could be wrong but IMHO, it is post mint damage! Note how some extra metal is bulged up to left of the tail of the "T" and practically touching it and how the bottom 1/5th of the tail of the "T" is bent to the right. To me, that spells that the coin took a hit.

Frank

I looked at it and looked at it, and which ever direction I looked at it, I saw it different.:laughing7: My eyes are cooked after today!:laughing7: I had myself talked into either one! I need to dig out the microscope it makes it much easier to look at.

It's really strange, the T and s look like the were bent into the hole. But the gouge looks heavy like it should have taken those parts of the letters off. If the coin would have been out of circulation I probably wouldn't have even thought twice. Just really odd, how ever it happened. I'd like to see it under a microscope to see the inside of the gouge. Not that it's worth anything, just had me really curious.:laughing7: To me it could almost look like both! Before and after mint. But That would be so unlikely getting hit in the exact same spot.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Nitric

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I vote Enamel and Smokey on #1, #2 looks more like scratch on die, crack at that location less likely, just my 10 cents worth. your photos are amazing in detail

The second one its really hard to see the scratch around the nostril area. That is in that Variety. I'll try to put a link to what I think that coin might be. I'm not positive though.1939 WDDO-005 But by the time I got to this my eyes were seeing double anyhow.:laughing7:

Your right, I wrote the wrong word, It is not a crack, it's a die scratch.:occasion14:

https://www2.briansvarietycoins.com/listings/view/391

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread