Interesting Find - Possible Old Button maybe Rev War

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
Middlesex County, New Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I found this today while at a site that has been in use since the late 1600s. I did not clean it but at first I thought it was a crude regimental button. If is approximately 22.7MM but not completely round. It has a crude one on the from and is slightly concave. I don't see any evidence of a button shank on the back. I include a picture of it next to a quarter and a IH penny that I found at the same site for size comparison.

After looking at it I'm starting to have my doubts but what do you think? a little wishful thinking on my part...

NJ

PB090419.jpg

PB090422.jpg

PB090421.jpg

PB090423.jpg

Upvote 0

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting, and looks old, but doesn't look like a button to me. But having said that I can't tell you what it is.... so

If only there was a shank on it!

OP
OP
N.J.THer

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Iron Patch said:
Interesting, and looks old, but doesn't look like a button to me. But having said that I can't tell you what it is.... so

Thanks IP...as I keep looking at it I feel the same way...one day I'll get my regimental button but not today.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
N.J.THer said:
Iron Patch said:

Thanks IP...as I keep looking at it I feel the same way...one day I'll get my regimental button but not today.

The old stuff you dig you will definitely hit a good one at some point. I am curious what it is you have there. Is it lead? I wouldn't rule anything out until you know.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
chark21798 said:
what else can it be. Nice dig.

That is the question! I wouldn't bet my life it's not a button, but it doesn't strike me as one. It also seems too crude even for late 18th century military. (at least compared to the ones in my book)

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Could it be a bolt head cut off? I've seen bolt heads & old nails with #'s on top. :dontknow: :icon_scratch:
Just a guess.
-MM-
P.S. The other thing is a quarter. :tongue3: :laughing9:

DirtDigler

Apr 10, 2010
Caroline Co., VA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2
Well it's certainly unusual. Might be a button which had a weak soldered shank long since gone. But I doubt it's English. They had a guild of button makers and the '1' would be much less crude. So possibly a domestic casting. I thought maybe it was a couple of scratches on the inside of the button mold. But it appears to be too intentional. Very curious indeed, I hate those things that you simply can't chase down. With some luck you might find an identical example. That would help you identify what the heck it is, anyway.

OP
OP
N.J.THer

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
ModernMiner said:
Could it be a bolt head cut off? I've seen bolt heads & old nails with #'s on top. :dontknow: :icon_scratch:
Just a guess.
-MM-
P.S. The other thing is a quarter. :tongue3: :laughing9:

MM
Way too thin to be a bolt head but it was a good guess.
Thanks
NJ

OP
OP
N.J.THer

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
DirtDigler said:
Well it's certainly unusual. Might be a button which had a weak soldered shank long since gone. But I doubt it's English. They had a guild of button makers and the '1' would be much less crude. So possibly a domestic casting. I thought maybe it was a couple of scratches on the inside of the button mold. But it appears to be too intentional. Very curious indeed, I hate those things that you simply can't chase down. With some luck you might find an identical example. That would help you identify what the heck it is, anyway.

I really feel like I've seen something very similar but with the number 34 (weird). I just can't remember where. This site was used for training militia from the late 1600s through the mid 1800s. In the same area I found a 1807 large cent but the area has been very disturbed so I find some more modern stuff deeper then some of the older stuff. For this reason I dig everything whether it is deep or shallow. Picked up another large cent (no date) yesterday at 1 1/2 inches and a memorial penny at 5 inches.

Thanks for the input.
NJ

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting