Interesting half dollar strike thru grease error?

SilverFace

Silver Member
Aug 21, 2011
Silverville
Primary Interest:
Other
Well I found this interesting 2000P half dollar on Thursday in the same box I found my first 1893 Columbian Expo commem coin. I haven't really gotten around to examining it closer till earlier tonight. The strike on the date and the Y in LIBERTY is very week, though they seem to show a little better in the pic because of the lighting. But the T in LIBERTY and the IN in IN GOD WE TRUST appears to be non-existent. Just wondering if any of u guys thought this coin might have any value beyond fv.

I also found a slightly off center strike '71D coin in the same box. I find these types of error coins more commonly on other coin denominations but these are two of the best examples of these types of errors Ive ever found on half dollars. Also I kinda thought it was interesting I found them both in the same box. I know the '71D probably isn't anything much but the 2000P looks like more of a noticeable error coin to me. I'd be interested in knowing what some of you error collectors think.

Btw, the rev pic is the 2000P coin - I just took that pic to show the overall condition and wear of the coin.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• 2000P strike thru half error.jpg
    2000P strike thru half error.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 170
  • 2000P rev strike thru half error.jpg
    2000P rev strike thru half error.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 144
  • 71D off center strike half.jpg
    71D off center strike half.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 277
Upvote 0

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nice greaser, I like finding those! I toss the greasers in bad shape back to the wild, but I would keep that 2000 also. :)

I found a 2009 NIFC Greaser error once.

OP
OP
SilverFace

SilverFace

Silver Member
Aug 21, 2011
Silverville
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks Buff. I think I almost tossed this one back too when I first saw it but I think I kinda did a double take on it. Yeah I'll just keep it and maybe bring it with me the next time I go to my LCS and just see what the expert there thinks about it.

Btw, I found a very glossy '89D half in one of the last rolls in a box I got on my way home from work on Friday. This coin looks more proof like than most proofs Ive ever found. Even the edge looks proof with a real thick shinny sharp edge. If it wasn't for the mint mark Id swear this coin was proof. Im guessing it may have just recently come out of a mint set. The glossy finish doesn't seem to show as well in the pic I took. I guess maybe its just easier to notice coins like this when there's no silver in the box and the pickens are kinda slim lol.

Attachments

• 89D prooflike half.jpg
    89D prooflike half.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 113
OP
OP
SilverFace

SilverFace

Silver Member
Aug 21, 2011
Silverville
Primary Interest:
Other
Someone may have plated that 1989.

Could be I suppose. I don't notice any difference in color, but maybe chrome platted u mean? The edge is real thick and shinny like a proof too and has the same coloration of a clad proof coin. I was wondering if it might have come from a mint set. Im not sure if the edges of coins in some mint sets are similar to edges of proof coins. :icon_scratch:

fish on!

May 4, 2012
In the bank
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool error coin. I wish I had the knowledge/patience to find error coins. I know they can be worth more than the silver ones, but I just haven't figures out a quick way to search for them.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions