Interesting how coins change in the ground.

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A bit of slim pickings today but I may have a new spot. Got this little gold plated locket about 5 inches deep. The piece of metal, I haven't a clue, a part of a modern watch, a few clad. But the interesting thing is the three wheat cents.

From left to right, 1917, 1950, 1946.

All three came from the same site, just different areas. Those who have dug for a while know, that when wheat cents come out as nice as this 1917, there just might be some treasures waiting 'round the next tree. I just started the new area and the wheats started coming when the rains came. (A good thing too! Now I can put the jackhammer away. ;) )

Anyway, thanks for peeking and HH out there!

Attachments

• IMGA1517.JPG
    IMGA1517.JPG
    47.7 KB · Views: 80
  • IMGA1518.JPG
    IMGA1518.JPG
    51 KB · Views: 73
  • IMGA1516.JPG
    IMGA1516.JPG
    46.1 KB · Views: 69
Last edited:
Upvote 2

staydetuned

Aug 27, 2007
San Francisco, California
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II
Wheats tend to come out differently by era, I believe, because of slight differences in the coper used. Those nice green wheats, the teens and '20s, are always nice, then you have your orange '40s and often worse '50s. All of these sounds differently as well, at least on the Explorer. It would be interesting to find out the exact reason for this phenomenon. From what I've heard, it's the origin of the copper used (ie. if you've ever dug an old German 2 Pfennig, or turn of the century Hong Kong copper, they're always a beautiful bright green, patina that doesn't even rub off). Often with the Explorer you can call you're wheats within a date range based on the slight change in pitch. Pretty cool...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread